Daylight Savings Time and the invention of the Clock

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by thepapasmurph, Mar 10, 2023.

1. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's that time of year again. Daylight savings time. It's wonderful to have daylight later into the evening. It means leisure time activities will be washed in glorious light of the sun. However, some of us struggle with built in clocks, and it takes a few weeks for our body clocks to adjust. We don't get an extra hour to sleep or whatever is supposed to happen.. And then we will do it again this Fall, which is even worse. Last year, in the United States, our Senate passed legislation to make Daylight Savings Time permanent. However, it did not pass the House so it is not law, and it will not happen this year. There has been debate whether it is really a good idea to choose Daylight Savings permanently or not. Nobody likes it to be dark at 4:45 in December. And everybody seems to love it to be light at 8:45 in the Summer. But, I wonder have we thought about how late it will be dark in the morning if we change the time permanently? Is that so good? In all seriousness, the debate rages on... but not once have I heard MY IDEA expressed. Why not simply move the clock ahead 1/2 hour in the Spring and leave it there. Wouldn't that work out better for everyone on both sides of the debate? As far as I know, there is only 24 hours in a day, and depending on where you live, daylight is different depending on how far away you live from the equator or where you live in your time zone... so can't this just be solved once and for all by moving the clock 30 minutes ahead?

clock.jpg

Moon Goddess likes this.
  2. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

Why move the clock at all. The clock only displays a number that indicates where the earth rotation is according to ones location. You change that number and any activity associated with a number is then accomplished at a different place in the earths rotation. You get no more daylight hours than there already are. People in Arizona realize this and do not fuck with the time settings. There are two standards that never change. One is GMT, Greenwich Mean Time or Zulu. The other is the date line. When the earth rotation point at Zulu moves across 1200 GMT the date changes at 0000 GMT. Otherwise date and time recording is accomplished locally in reference to when it is 1200 in your locale. Cows don't give a shit. Pigs don't either. Nor do any other animals except humans. The alternative is to offer one to begin their activities an hour different from before. Or not. Since I am not tied to a time clock for employment the resetting of the clock has no affect on my body function. I just do time scheduled activities at a different number, same point in earth rotation, as before.

Joe90, Moon Goddess and thepapasmurph like this.
  3. MollyCuddled

MollyCuddled Members

Most people are tied to a clock, work or go to school on a consistent schedule. I’d rather have more daylight after work. Daylight at 5:00 am in the summer isn’t usable time if you have a regular job or school or have kids in school. I’d be open to the permanent 30 minute switch as a compromise though that would be slightly annoying when working with international colleagues

Moon Goddess and thepapasmurph like this.
  4. thepapasmurph

5. thepapasmurph

6. thepapasmurph

7. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

Wouldn't it be nice to just ditch the clock all together and descend into chaos, lol:D

Echtwelniet and MollyCuddled like this.
  8. thepapasmurph

Moon Goddess likes this.
  9. thepapasmurph

10. Moon Goddess

Like what? I need examples;)

11. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

I love daylight saving time...but think it's done too early now. I would go back to 2006. The last time the change was in early April and late October.

12. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

You shouldn't do this. Kids today can't read an unmarked version much less this one.

Moon Goddess likes this.
  13. Moon Goddess

My kids can. They can also make change and right in cursive too. :D lol

14. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

I don't think they even teach cursive in elementary school anymore.

Personally, I hate the whole time change thing. It messes me up for a week. The later daylight is great, but moving back to standard time with it getting dark so early sucks.

Moon Goddess likes this.
  15. Moon Goddess

I can't believe I put the wrong right/write:oops:

MeAgain likes this.
  16. Moon Goddess

Most schools don't.

When I had a set schedule it used to bother me more but at the moment my time is very flexible so it really doesn't matter to me what the numbers on the clock say. I could get up and start my day when it's dark or wait for the sun to come up if I want and I can make dinner around sunset, regardless of how early or late the numbers say it is. Sometimes I go through long phases where I stay awake all night and sleep the day away. I don't know if that's any better than having to adjust but it is my life for now.

17. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

It would be nice to follow a more natural rhythm...got to sleep when you're tired, get up when you wake up...eat when you are hungry....not to model my life around what time I need to start work.

Moon Goddess likes this.
  18. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

you can slide on this....weer all frends hear.

Moon Goddess likes this.
  19. Moon Goddess

Yeah but that stupid mistake made me too embarrassed to admit that I homeschooled my kids, lol

cover-eyes-see-no-evil.gif

Joe90 likes this.
  20. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Bah....the other day I wrote subjugate instead of subrogate. Duh.