dating non-veggies

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by veggieromance, May 25, 2004.

1. veggieromance

veggieromance Member

Hi there,

I was just wondering whether you would date a non-veggie, or if you would never date someone who ate meat...?

Thanks,

Simon

2. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I've been veggie for 17 years and never dated a meat-eater in all that time. It's more a practical thing than aything else. I couldn't kiss someone who had burger-breath, so I don't see how that could work out. Also, I won't allow meat into my home, so living with a meat-eater would be impossible unless they were willing to be very understanding!

3. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I once dated a meat-eater who's mother really disliked me. So everytime i came over for dinner she'd have cooked steak or something :p

yeah i wouldn't kiss a guy after he'd just eaten meat - that's just gross! But i guess it's alright as long as they brush their teeth!

4. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

That is pretty low to not date someone because they eat meat. It's not your choice what others eat and what they don't eat. Just because someone was raised eating meat doesn't mean they're a horrible person and shouldn't get a chance. Oh well i'm sure you can argue that.

5. BuffaloSoldier

BuffaloSoldier Member

I'd never date a vegetable but this one guy I know has a thing for fruit cake

6. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I don't really have anything against dating a meat-eater... except that a few things would be kind of difficult if we were living together. Not that I worry about that right now, for God's sake I'm only 15 :D

7. DoktorAtomik

I'm just curious, but did you actually bother to read any of this thread? I don't remember anyone saying that meat-eaters were horrible people. Personally, I can't stand the smell of flesh on someone's breath, so why the fuck should I have to put up with that if I don't want to?

8. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

Take a chill pill. RELAX!
    Did I say you had to put up with it??

It's nice that you hate meat and all i'm not trying to get anyone worked up about my post so move along.

9. DoktorAtomik

Well then, saying...

...probably wasn't the best idea in the world, was it?

10. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

It was what I wanted to say and I said it. I as in ME personally do think that's low, but you can believe anything you wish!
    I don't think you're low. I think not giving someone a chance for a date because they eat meat is rather silly :p but anyways yeah I don't mean you're low or anything and sorry if I offended you.

11. DoktorAtomik

Yes, but you just made a moral judgement about me by saying that my choice was 'low'.

OK, now I'm just confused!

But it's not about 'not giving someone a chance'. It's simply that I don't view the lifestyles as compatible. I can't abide the smell of meat. It makes me physically sick. I would therefore find it hard to exist in an intimate relationship with a meat eater. That's not making a judgement about them - that's a simple fact. I didn't say "they're evil so I wouldn't go near them".

Coolies. No offence taken. I think we're just misunderstanding each other :)

12. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

Ok this is obviously getting way out of hand. How does a child molester even fit in the category of a meat eater and if someone walks in a store and buys a steak how are they a murderer when the cow was already dead by a machine. I think it's great people don't eat meat. Killing is wrong. By a man or a machine it's wrong. Buying meat does how ever support the cause. Humans have been eating meat for years just as humans have been killing each other for years. I'd like to say it's going to change but in reality it's not.

and DoktorAtomik I do agree I think we were just misunderstanding each other! :p

13. minjeig

minjeig Member

Firstly, ^^that was just awesome. I had to read it twice.

As for dating a meat eater, I've dated 2, neither really worked out and both tried to convert me. I don't think I'd do it again personally just because of how much of a pain in the ass it became and how sick I am of people trying to tell me what to eat. And I agree that I couldn't kiss someone after they'd eaten flesh, I'd yak.

14. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

Maybe you should re-read what you previously wrote, because that's the exact impression that leave us with. You are essentially saying that a person can't be something in order to be acceptable in your narrow-minded opinion. This is the exact same rationale that whites have used to exclude and marginalize African-Americans, as an example. Having read items from the nineteenth century on racial attitudes and whole stigma attached to inter-racial relationships, I find your comments eerily similar. I know you're going to immediately get all in a huff about me "personally attacking" you, but the fact remains that your attitude towards non-veggies is pretty bigoted if you look at it objectively.

15. Happy_Go_Crazy

Happy_Go_Crazy Member

killing for pleasure?? it's killing for food! it's part of the circle of life! you wouldn't tell a lion not to eat it's prey now would you?? If animals stopped eating each other than our whole ecosystem would be fucked up. It's fine to be a vegetarian but don't use that as an excuse for not giving someone consideration. I think maybe you should re-evaluate the situation. As for dating? my girlfriend is a vegetarian and she seems to have no problem with me eating meat. This isn't a battle it's a friendly conversation. You are making it out to be World War 3. :)

16. DoktorAtomik

Really. How, exactly? Would you care to take the time to actually explain that statement? Assuming that you're not confusing my comments with Didge's?

No, not at all. I never said that meat-eaters aren't 'acceptable' to me. Simply that I don't want to play tongue-hockey with one or share a house with one. That's really no different from the way anyone selects a partner when you get right down to it. We look for people with whom we have compatible world views and lifestyles. I really dunno why you're getting so worked up just because I don't wanna make squelchies with a flesh-eater!

Hmmm. Somehow my not liking the smell of meat equates to racism? Dude, I really think you're getting me confused with Didge here, because I never once passed any moral judgement on meat-eaters in this thread. I simply said I wouldn't choose to share my life with one - based purely on lifestyle compatibility.

I fail to see what's bigotted over choosing to have sex with people whom I share a similar interest and lifestye with. Are you suggesting that I should regularly have sex with conservative christian fundie meat-eaters just in the name of equality? If I was arguing that veggies shouldn't, on priniciple, engage with meat-eaters, then you might have a point. But I'm not. It's a personal preference. Deal with it.

17. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

Happy Go Crazy - would you have a 'low' opinion of people that prefered to date non-smokers? That's are pretty acceptable thing to consider in dating someone (where I come from at least). I think that it's quite similar to not going our with a meat eater - not liking the taste of it on your partner's breath, not liking it in your house, you just wouldn't be compatible.

I personally would date a meat eater, but only because there are no vego guys where I live..and girl's got needs :) :p
    But veg*nism is sexy, I reckon. I'd much rather date a veg than a meat eater.

18. Summertime

Summertime Member

Just because you wouldn't date someone doesn't mean you're against them, it just means you don't fancy them. I personally don't find eating meat attractive, just as I don't find smoking attractive or hitting people attractive. It's just a personal preference. Everyone finds different things attractive about different people, and most vegetarians don't find eating meat attractive. It doesn't mean you don't like anyone who eats meat, or have friends that eat meat, all it means is you don't fancy/don't fall in love with people who eat meat. Dating someone is more intimate than just being friends, and yeah, a lot of veg*ans don't like the smell/taste of meat so don't want to kiss a meat eater. My ex-boyfriend was a meat eater and if I kissed him after he had just eaten meat it did make me want to retch sometimes.

Summer. xx.

19. Summertime

Summertime Member

Exactly my thoughts! :D

Summer. xx.

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

all you veggie girls should date me, im a good cook too.