Dark Side

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by PeterPan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. PeterPan

PeterPan Member

I saw an interview of David Gilmour where he said DSOTM was a concept album. I guess that's like Sgt. Pepper, or Tommy, where every track shares a common theme and their all linked together somehow. I'm trying to figure out what the whole album is saying. My take on it is that there is natural harmony to the universe, but behind this is overshadowed by a dark chaos. I got that from "And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon". WHat du u peoplz think?

2. ThE_BluE_ShoE

ThE_BluE_ShoE Member

empathy for the human condition.

3. Lather

Lather Member

Roger Waters said the song 'Brain Damage' is about how you sometimes think that no one understands you and there's no one on your 'plain', but there are always other people. Hence the line 'see you on the dark side of the moon'.

4. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

i read somewhere once that its based on life, like an actual life.....birth to death you know? i'll look for it and come back

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Everything associated with modern life, which it's all even more true now then it was in 1973.

6. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

heres something i found at wiki....

7. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

oh and if you go to the wiki site and read the thing....check out the voices section, its really cool, it explains how the got all the dialogue that you can hear during the album

8. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

its all about what makes you looney or crazy or mad or insane, or however you wanted to put it.........

the dark side of the moon always referred to someone becoming crazy......

9. Panzer

Panzer Member

Yeah, basicaly each song is about something that could drive someone crazy. I don't read much into Any Colour You Like, I think it is just some jamming used to segueway between songs. The point of the last song is that when you think that everything has a particular meaning and a particulare place, there is always something that will alude you and be out of place.

10. sohip19

sohip19 Member

i think its talking about life...the goods the bads ups and downs..see what im sayin?

11. CaptainBeefheartFan

CaptainBeefheartFan Screwed Up

It is a dark commentry on insanity, death, life, and space

GAL!

12. GratefulFloyd

GratefulFloyd Nowhere to fly to

Breathe=birth.
    On the Run=trying to escape paranoia, fear, depression, basically everything involved in insanity. running from society whilst running from your own mind.
    Time=Time is an all powerful entity that will likely screw you over.
    Great Gig in the Sky=Death.
    Money=Indulgence in material things, greed, basically, money.
    Us and Them=War.
    Any Colour You Like=Your perspective and decisions paint the color of your life.
    Brain Damage=Insanity.
    Eclipse=The significance of each and every tiny act made by every individual human.

Thats just the skeleton of the album, really. Its not really about a specific life, but life in general... its a very hard album to really grasp with a verbal explanation. For true appreciation, repeated listenings with great attention is neccessary.