Dark bits in blonde dreads!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Charlotte_Fish, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Charlotte_Fish

Charlotte_Fish Member

Hello!

My dreadlocks are bleached blonde so they're very pale. I've had them for about 16 months now and ever since about three months into getting them, they've had little dark patches throughout. The girl that first did my dreads for me used beeswax and, as the dark bits are generally pretty sticky and horrible, I've always assumed that it was the beeswax that made the dark patches (probably collecting dust and stuff).

I wash them every week or two and continue to bleach them every six weeks or so but none of this makes any difference to the dark bits! I haven't put any wax in my hair for about 8 months so why is it staying in for so long? I'm now pretty anti-wax (and I've noticed you all seem to be too!) but what would you suggest I use instead? My friend used latex in my hair to tidy it about 4 months ago and that seemed pretty good at first but now that appears to be staining my hair also.

Sorry to go on for long, just hoping someone may have a suggestion as to how I can make them all white, clean and shiny again!

Thanks very much! :H

2. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

Use a non-residue shampoo (the local favorite here is Dr. Bronners, I like the Tea Tree flavor) & super hot water and scrub the shit out of your dreads. If that doesn't work, there is a recipe for an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse that may also help you. You don't need to use anything to keep your dreadies in order, expecially with the age of yours... they should be mature enough to not use anything at all. If you have some frizzies that annoy you, buy some pure aloe vera gel & use sparingly.

Hope this helps & post some pics.

3. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

the only hope you have of getting wax out is in very, very, very, very hot water, i mean hotter than you can stand, boiling, don't let it touch your skin. You will have to let your hair soak in water of that temperature to get the wax melting, if your dreads are well established you can try a degreasing dish soap as well, that may help. You will probably have to soak your head in ultra hot water 3-15 times, more or less depending on how much wax is in your hair. That is your only hope. You must understand that once you put wax in your hair, it does NOT come out, not even with time or regular washing. Essentially what you have done is created candlesticks on your head, and the onlyway to remove it is to melt it. Good luck to you.

~love and light.

4. Charlotte_Fish

Charlotte_Fish Member

Thanks for your help!
    The wax isn't hard though. It's extremely soft and seems pretty sticky and oily when I try picking it out. Does this mean that the hot water to melt it wouldn't be much use? Or would it still work? I'm not even certain it is wax, it's just that wax seems like the most logical answer. Do you think I'm right? I've always used residue-free basic shampoo so I don't think it can be anything else I've put in it.
    Where could I find the vinegar recipe, Kelly? I feel like they need some kind of full-on brutal cleaner put in them but I know that it's not good for dreadlocks. Damn!
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

it's either wax or mold, you could have mold inside of your dreads because wax keeps the insides of the dreads from ever drying properly. I'd still say to do the ragin hot water thing, thats about your best option available.

If you can stand it, straight Apple Cider Vinegar on your head is most effective, if not you can still get *some* cleaning power by diluting it though admittedly it is far less potent. ACV is a low level acid that disolves grime and buildup.

6. KungFuKelly

KungFuKelly Member

7. Silver Shadow

Silver Shadow Member

Didnt you say it was a latex? I once met a dreadhead at a festival who used a little latex at first. She let it grow out, and all the new hair is fine, but the bottom half (the old locs) still has latex in it. Her hair is bright auburn-red but the rubber bits look black. Some salons that do braided extensions put that crap on to 'glue' it where the join is. I know, cos I once had it done to me. I had to pick at it, and it was hell. They call the stuff 'bonding'.
    Maybe there's a solvent for this stuff? Could try searching/asking around.
    She said nothing got rid of it, but there must be something. Hot water wont melt it. Hope this helps... ?