Daniel Quinn's Ishmael

Discussion in 'Books' started by Earthwalker, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

Has anyone here read Ishmael or any of Daniel Quinn's other books? If not, then I highly recommend all of them (but start with Ishmael).
    "With man gone..................?"

2. CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie Member

I read Ishmael a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it as well. What other books has Quinn written? I would be very interested in checking them out.

3. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

He has written several that tackle the same subject in different ways. The most important, in my opinion, are................
    Ishmael
    My Ishmael (a sequel)
    The Story of B
    Beyond Civilization
    The Man Who Grew Young (a graphic novel)

The others are.........
    After Dachau
    The Holy
    Providence (a biography of how Ishmael came about)

Anyway, you can find even more info if you go to http://www.ishmael.com
    Peace.

4. CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie Member

Thanks dude. Which one would you recommend as a good place to start as a follow up read to Ishmael?

5. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

Try to read them in the order that I listed them if you can. They seemed to work well for me in that order. Fascinating stories. More people should read them.
    Peace.

6. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

interesting....i just read the quote about tribal life on the web page, and it makes me want to read beyond civilization.

sooo, do i really need to read them in the order you gave? :D

7. rift

rift Member

I really enjoyed Ishmael, a very thought prevoking book. I havent read any of Quinn's other books but i intend to and hope they are as intresting as Ishmael. I recommend the book to anyone who hasnt read it.

8. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

Well, I guess you could read them in any order you like, but I suggest reading Ishmael first, because there are referrences to it in the others. And there is another reason, but I don't want to ruin it for you.
    I'm just surprised that more hippies haven't heard of or read it yet. Quinn even makes referrence to "the youth rebellion of the 60's" in one of the books. In my opinion, these are some of the most important books ever written. However, it's up to you to make up your own mind.
    Peace.

9. Rhythmdevil

Rhythmdevil Member

One of the best books I have read. I would definitely classify this as one of the coolest and thought-provoking books you could read. I would definitely reccomend this to anyone and everyone. My favorite part is the jellyfish analogy.

10. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

Yes, that one drives the point home nicely. It forces you to look at our cultural existance the way an outsider would see it. Kinda like listening to your own voice on a tape recorder and realizing how different you sound to others.
    Peace.