Dandruff!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Mabster, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mabster

Mabster Member

Arghh..
    It's something I Always had and 'kept under control' with evil head and shoulders...

Time to make a tea I think!

2. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

ive been using my dads tea tree shampoo on mine, and its helped =] its good for making tangles and stuff toooo

3. urbanhedgemonkey

urbanhedgemonkey Member

Ahh!!! Please don't use head and shoulders (or any other sulphur containing anti-d shampoo) on your dreadies. I had a dready friend resort to this after suffering from much itchy-poo scratchy flakeyness and while it certainly cleared up his scalp it unfortunately left a nasty sulphurous stink in his locks that was damn near impossible to shift :ack2:. For the sake of folks that share your space (if nothing else), please dont go there!

I'm sure this is already well covered in other threads but try apple cider vinegar rinses (around half a spoon vinegar to 1 cup warm water) and try adding in some of the following essenitial oils:

tea tree, patchouli, cedarwood, lavender, peppermint, clary sage, rose, ylang-ylang, lemon, rosemary.

Add around 8 drops of a single oil per cup of rinse, or 4 drops of each if using more than one - though if you have any particular skin sensitivities please do your research on each oil before using it (which is prolly not a bad thing to do anyway as Es oils are pretty concentrated stuff).

Useful herbs for dready tea include: nettle, peppermint, thyme, rosemary, burdock, lavender, plantain, chamomile, catnip, marigold.

You can brew some tea using fresh herbs or by using herbal tea bags (which are less messy and more convenient) and then add a spoon of ACV to a cup of your brew.

All the above rinses can be massaged into the scalp and left on the hair for around half an hour before being rinsed off, or they can be left on for added 'umph' (when the vinegar dries there is no smell at all). Note, though, that ACV does soften the hair which may not be desirable for those with new delicate backcombs/dreads. While it does remove build up and nasty residue that may coat the hair shaft it also smooths down the cuticle.

Peace and good luck :) .

4. Smelly D

well the tea tree one is good for me atm cause im dreadless, but im soon ganna start using baking soda & essential oils, and then start gettin the dreadies back =]]

5. bcmama

bcmama Banned

Yay! Another person with herbal knowledge! :D Have you taken any formal training? I have finished my first level in herbalism and I'm currently working on the next level.

6. urbanhedgemonkey

urbanhedgemonkey Member

No. No formal training I'm afraid, but I've been growing and using herbs in a kitchen-witchery type way for the past 15 years or so. The same with essential oils. Most of my knowledge is really just based on personal experience and my own research, and now I've got dreads it really was the natural way to care for them. I'm busy experimenting with itchy dandruff cures myself - both tea and massage oils. (BTW, a blend of 3 drops patchouli, 3 drops cedarwood, and 3 drops ylang-ylang in 20ml sweet almond oil as a scalp massage is pretty damn good :)).

Generally though, I'm a little hesitant to give out advice because I'm not officially qualified and have no formal medical or healing training (other than reiki). So any advice I give is usually accompanied by the suggestion that you go away and do your own reading up to find out if its suitable for you or not. If in doubt, ask, question, find out. Period. That way I can't be held responsible for other peoples gammy heads!! :D

7. bcmama

bcmama Banned

Hey-I am a Reiki practitioner too! :D We seem to have a few things in common.

8. Mabster

Mabster Member

Do not worry... never again in my life shall I be going near Head and Shouders.
    My scalp is all gooey! bleh.. it used to do that anyway if i didnt wash it for a few days.
    Once it dries it goes flaky to the max...

Got some rosemary and have a few oils and ACV for my deep cleanses :)

Cheers for the replies

x

9. Mabster

Mabster Member

Arghh!! It's gone insane..
    Deep clean yesterday.. bit o salt today...

SUPER DOOPER FLAKE'AGE!
    Black sheets are covered, Merryn says my whole scalp is flaking!!

Rosemary brew the morn!

Im tempted to use t gel the morn but shall refrain!

10. Smelly D

maybe the salt dried it out?

11. Mabster

Mabster Member

I recon so... was dreadhead hq stuff aswell... sprayed it on... just let it air dry throughout the day... It is quite scary at how much came off! A snow storm!!
    Got my head wrapped up now till the morn :S