Dairy-free and soy-free Pizza

Discussion in 'Food Allergies' started by sea of grass, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

This makes 2 pizzas. this proves that you don't need cheese to have good pizza!

*A couple bulbs of roasted garlic makes this really special. Just take two whole bulbs of garlic, and cut just the top part off the bulb. Put it on a sheet of foil and pour olive oil right into the center of the bulbs. Wrap the foil over the bulbs loosely and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Let them cool and rest, and you should have some lovely, carmelized garlic to stir in with your pizza veggies.

Ingredients for toppings and sauce:

Toppings:

-Any fresh veggies you desire, chopped, diced, etc. This part is really up to you.
    -Optional roasted bulbs of garlic, taken out of the shell and mixed in with your veggies.
    -extra virgin olive oil
    -salt and spices you like

Toss all the veggies, oil, spices, and garlic in a bowl. Set aside in fridge.

Sauce:
    -1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
    -1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
    -1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    -1/2 cup flour of choice (thickener)
    -1 tbsp. salt
    -spices you like.

Simmer all ingredients on the stove until sauce is thick and hot. Set aside in fridge.

Crust Ingredients:

-6 cups flour of choice (wheat-free, gluten-free folks can use an alternate flour, such as rice. But be sure to cut it with some xanthan gum to sort of do the same job as gluten would)
    -3 cups water
    -1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
    -1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    -3 tbsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
    -1 tbsp. salt
    -herbs and spices of choice - I use rosemary and crushed red pepper

combine everything in a large mixing bowl until it becomes firm. Use some of the flour to knead the dough on a cutting board or your countertop until it's no longer sticky. Divide the dough in half - you have enough to make two pizzas. You can be pro and toss the dough, or you can use a rolling pin to make it flat. Get two baking sheets or pizza stones, and brush both with a liberal amount of olive oil. press the dough into flat, roundness on each one, or flat squareness, whatever you want. Heat the crusts in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Take crust out and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Brush a liberal amount of olive oil on the surface of the crusts. Spread sauce onto the crust. Add veggies and spread over the sauce. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 45 - 60 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the crust and how carmelized you want the veggies to be.

I absolutely love cheeseless pizzas now. And this is insanely healthy for you.

2. TeshawnEdmonds

TeshawnEdmonds Member

Any cheeseless pizza would be worthy for me, but I'm NOT crazy with all of those veggies. I'm 110% pure meat right here.

3. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

I like subbing Daiya cheese. It melts well. The only drawbacks are that it's super rich and kinda spendy.

4. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

Thanks for this :)

I'm vegan plus my daughter is dairy and soy intolerant!

5. borntobwild

borntobwild Member

Yum. Daiya Pepperjack Chese is the best on pizza.

6. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

organic food = fo hippy parents