dairy alternates

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by cousinit, Apr 20, 2013.

1. cousinit

cousinit Member

just quick question about dairy milk alternates, has anyone found anything that comes close to the taste of cow milk. most of the products Ive come across seem to be sweetened and or flavoured, which i don't like.

btw....I recently discovered that I could have avoided 30 years of non stop bloating and painful gas, by having not eaten dairy products every day for the last 30 years.

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Unsweetened almond milk seems to be the closest in consistency to me.

Soy is always sweet, even when unsweetened and rice tastes practically like CANDY to me. Hemp... I tried it once, but it was pretty weird.

For taste - some brands of almond taste more or less like what milk "should" taste like while some taste just plain weird... my personal preference is Silk brand, but that's partially biased by the fact that it's the least expensive & easiest to find.

Good luck! Seriously, I'd try one of each 'til you find your favorite. Even if you don't find one that tastes the same, you might find something you like even better!

love,
    mom

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Almond, again, but blue diamond. Unsweetened.

4. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

A true unsweetened soymilk I think would be a good alternative. Taste wise anyways. Look for a small scale local produced brand if possible.
    In Nor Cal we have a company called 'The Tofu Shop'. They make a plain soymilk - just beans and water pressed. It has a consistency and taste which some of my friends who have more recently drank milk agree with (for me it's been 20 years so I can't judge the likeness).
    Also - I agree with Mama - it may just take awhile for you to adjust your tastes to a different flavor. As long as you are giving your body the same nutrients etc. which you were getting with milk - eventually your cravings will switch to the alternative.
    Don't forget - you can try making your own milks fairly easily at home as well. It just takes some beans or nuts or rice or seeds / some hot water / and a grinder or press.
    Good Luck - stay on the alternative milks. It makes the body happy and the calves :)

5. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

As far as I know nothing tastes like cow milk. Alternatives, that I've tried, contain less fat and aren't sour.

I used to drink sweetened soy milk (with added calcium), because I don't like the taste of soy.
    Recently I've started buying rice milk (with added calcium also) and really like it. Although it's quite sweet, as you already mentioned.