Daily glass of wine or pint of beer boosts brain power in middle-aged and elderly people and could h

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boozercruiser, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Daily glass of wine or pint of beer boosts brain power in middle-aged and elderly people and could help stave off dementia, study claims
    • Scientists said eight drinks a week for women and 15 for men may be beneficial
    • Even those who drink less each week may also be able to benefit, they claimed
    • Results based on survey of 19,887 people who were tested every two years

I do love my beer and have two 500ml bottles every single day at around midnight so as to relax in total peace and quiet.
    I usually have a lovely home made bread sandwich of Cheese and Tomato along with it.
    Lubbly Jubbly.:smiley:

At least now I know why I am still so intelligent and super brainy. :tonguewink: :laughing:

Do you agree with this study? (I DO!) and also do you have some Booze every day then?

Daily glass of wine or pint of beer may help stave off dementia, says study | Daily Mail Online

In the study, scientists analysed data from 19,887 people on their health and economic status from the US Health and Retirement Study.

Each underwent tests every two years between 1997 and 2008 to show changes to their health by measuring four factors: Total cognition, mental status, word recall and vocabulary.

When the scores of the 6,010 low-to-moderate drinkers were compared to those of never-drinkers, scientists found the former was 'significantly less likely' to be suffering from declines in the four factors than the latter.

Based on their results, they suggested drinking 12 alcoholic drinks a week to slow the reduction in cognitive function, 13 for mental status, ten for word recall and 14 for vocabulary.

The results also formed a U-shaped graph, suggesting those who drink significantly more or less are unlikely to reap the alleged benefits of alcohol.

The study, which included 16,950 white participants, also suggested that alcohol's protective capacity differed depending on ancestry.

DrRainbow, Candy Gal and mysticblu21 like this.
  2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

There seems to be quite a lot of evidence now, that a moderate amount of alcohol consumption (around 1-2 drinks a day) can help protect against Alzheimer’s — though not, a review concluded, vascular dementia or age-related cognitive decline (but the jury’s still out on that one, I think). Moderate alcohol consumption is significantly associated with other factors that help protect against dementia, such as better education, not living alone, and absence of depression, but seems to have an effect on its own account as well.

It must be emphasized that this positive effect is restricted to the ‘right’ level of alcohol consumption. The damage alcohol can do to the brain is only too well established.

The effect doesn’t appear to be restricted to a particular type of alcohol. Having said that, there are components in wine, especially red wine, that have also been associated with lower dementia risk. These components include polyphenols such as epicatechin, catechin and resveratrol.

Benefits may not apply to everyone however. One study found that carriers of the Alzheimer’s gene, APOe4, were more likely to develop dementia if they drank any alcohol — it was only non-carriers that showed a benefit of moderate drinking. Another large study found that the benefits of moderate drinking only applied to those who had no cognitive impairment. For those with mild cognitive impairment, drinking speeded up the rate of decline. Another, large long-running, study found that, although non-smokers who consumed moderate amounts of alcohol were less likely to have a stroke than non-drinkers, this didn’t apply to smokers.

These individual variations may explain the inconsistency in previous studies regarding the relationship between light to moderate drinking and age-related cognitive impairment.

The story of alcohol and the brain is clearly a complex one, not easily disentangled. One large, long-running study, for example, found an association between alcohol and brain atrophy even at moderate levels of consumption.

Alcohol's possible benefits for the brain | About memory

DrRainbow and mysticblu21 like this.
  3. Boozercruiser

Hi Gal
    And thank you very much for your very sensible reply on a very important subject in relation to health.
    Well said.
    I am very surprised that others have not replied though.
    Is that because this forum seems to be largely Millennials and young people posting who think perhaps this sort of subject is not worth replying to?
    Just sayin' like.

DrRainbow, mysticblu21 and Candy Gal like this.
  4. Candy Gal

I have no idea. Give it time.

DrRainbow and mysticblu21 like this.
  5. Boozercruiser

Blimey Gal that reply is super quick.
    Thank you!

DrRainbow and Candy Gal like this.
  6. Candy Gal

I also think that genetics play a part.
    But reflecting on WW2, when food was in short supply, they still had alcohol to sustain them.

DrRainbow likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

Sometimes I think beer helps me play Jeopardy..
    Just seems like after a few I get better..

DrRainbow and Candy Gal like this.
  8. Boozercruiser

Thanks for posting.
    Well beer is a very good relaxant Orison so perhaps that is the reason.

DrRainbow likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Too late....