Curiosity (Mars Rover) I found this a bit scary

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lands Monday. Different set up to previous mission. I found it scary because of the lag time between Mars and earth they cant remote control it, and more sophisticated than previous airbag landings, so they had to program it to land itself. This is how Skynet starts

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/08/04/curiosity-mars-rover-the-stakes-could-not-be-higher

Holly1272 and Slunted like this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, it landed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holly1272 likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

failure is eminent ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYr7I4gOSXk"]Little Richard - Keep a Knockin - YouTube

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I think the scary part is the gutting of NASA. And the way this is like a contest to keep surviving, or something.

Without NASA, we wouldn't even be using computers right now, I'm pretty sure. This is the agency that has pushed tech in ways that have gotten the human race where it is today.

Eric! likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't really think i want to understand people who feel like they have to make anything good be about being scary.

i agree that space has been a leading edge that has pushed technology. i don't think nasa alone deserves ALL the credit though. not by any means. if russia hadn't launched sputnik, it is dubious there would ever have been a nasa.

and if it weren't for japan and china and europe getting into space now, i doubt if nasa would have received the funding to do this one.

i mean, don't get me wrong, i think its wonderful that its been done.

but there should be humans in an iss orbiting mars and tele-operating whole fleets of mobile robots on its surface, and perminent antarctica like bases on the moon as well. and without all the damd nonsense nationalism.

(i do find the nationalism embarrassing and scary though)

Eric! likes this.
  6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

It's still a much safer bet than the US Air Force's plan of building a space ship that would use nuclear explosions as propulsion.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Is that a plan?

Maybe bungie are prophets, and the rest of the series after halo 1 was just to throw us off and make us think of them as money-grubbing retards.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The part I was referreing to as scary was that the thing landed itself in some very complicated manuevers.

Not just with Mars, but back here on earth. The likes of Google, Audi and Stanford Uni have all been in the news last month for developing successful driverless cars

Bittorrent put a serious dent in all industries related to entertainment, Online shopping has really hurt the retail sector, and if we get to driveless cars, trucks eventually that will wipe out those kind of jobs.

Everything is getting automated, its going to be so much harder for people to find jobs the more this trend continues

Eric! likes this.
  9. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Jobs will be there, but for people with good education.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if automation could keep people fed and provided with sources of gratification, why would they NEED "jobs"?

instead they would be able to explore and create, the way nature intended.

11. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

I don't think anyone will provide things for free, plus there must be someone who maintains all of that. And if people will get lazy because they have everything, they wont know anything, therefore they wont be able to fix machines and invent new stuff.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

all that depends entirely on culture. in a culture that romantacizes and rewards agressiveness sure. but a world of lazy, introverted cowards, would be a happier, safer, and more gratifying place then one which does. no one WANTS to actually DO nothing. nor would it be natural to do so. what people want is to be able to spend their time doing what interests and gratifies them. reality is diversity, and in that diversity there are people who would absolutely love to create and maintain the technology, because it is what they enjoy doing as a hobby. same goes for energy and transportation and every other kind of infrastructure. a few might actually want to just lay and dream and kill themselves, but that would be no loss to the rest of society either.

no. what you're claiming is the great myth and the great excuse that is used to keep things screwed up, out of fear the boggie man will get us if we don't keep imposing on ourselves things to bitch about just to be doing so.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No recollection as to starting this thread whatsoever

Totally puzzled why I would say this in particular

That was 7 years ago, and they still cant get a computer to tell the difference between a traffic cone and a cat

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Have you ever wondered how the Hovel telescope just hasn't broken down yet. It's been up there so long and you'd think by now something would have went wrong in the sub zero temperatures in the depths of space.

Eric! likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Hubble btw, but its a very valid question

They should have got the guys that designed the Hubble Telescope to design the o-rings on the space shuttles

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hubble. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I knew when I was writing that, that it could be wrong and make me look like a dick. :sweatsmile:

But then aurocorrect capitalised the H for me, so I thought it was in the ball park. :tearsofjoy:

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Tis Well Known That "Dementia" Can Strike As Early As 47...... :p

Cheers Glen.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Do you still find the situation scary? Or do you now see that it's all nonsense and a fancy remote control bot in the Nevada desert somewhere? :p

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The remote bot thing

Irminsul likes this.
  20. deleted

deleted Visitor

junk cars all over the place..