Culinary arts

Discussion in 'Free School' started by g0withefl0w, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g0withefl0w

g0withefl0w Member

Hi all new to posting in the forums but been reading for about 10 years I am a proffesional chef and did not go to school was just lucky to have a foot in a door and people willing to teach. If anyone wants advice or want to know why there cooking is not coming out as planned. let me know and id be glad to help.

2. NeedsAnOralSlut

NeedsAnOralSlut Guest

I would love to learn about culinary arts and do something part time working with food. I am trying to get out of debt and don't have the money right now to be able to attend culinary arts classes or schools, but I would love to learn.

3. g0withefl0w

g0withefl0w Member

have you ever worked as a cook or in food service? if not i can give you tips i didnt go to school just had to learn as i went it might be hard to jump into service or catering, but i would recommend either starting applying as a prep cook especially if you know someone who might be able to teach you on site. research the background of the food you will be preparing or cooking at the restaraunt. start working on your knife skills, julienne some stuff onions peppers. work on dicing,chopping etc. easiest station is going to be the pantry/cold side or the fryer. when you do go in work hard and show and eagerness to learn, and be positive chances are even if you dont know alot about the food if you have a good attitude and work hard the boss will like you and teach you. community college has great classes that arent expensive that will give you basics. keep in mind though its not a glamorous career alot of stress you have to cope with, long hours on your feet,keep an even head and work through when your behind on stuff,get used to smelling like food touching raw food alot and being in a kitchen all day. thats just the downsides but there are alot of upsides, great adrenaline rush during service, producing good plates is very gratifying, and you learn alot about food others have no idea about, there is alot of science behind the process of cooking from start to end. if you have any ?s just let me know

4. ryupower

ryupower NO capcom included

My boyfriend might be interested in cullinery.
    I have a question,
    in cullinery, does it boost you to get a Diploma in the area?

5. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

I went to culinary school.. It was good
    For history of food and to study food
    But I learned more from just being in
    Kitchens and doing it.. Yea it helped
    Get my foot in the door but , I'd recommend
    Learning on your own.. Knife cuts and
    Multitasking are very important

6. Bouga

Bouga Member

It would be awesome to learn some new techniques. I've never had a chance to pick up new techniques, so I basically cook how I was taught how which can get pretty boring. It would be great to have an area to pick up new things and maybe share recipes with other users who have the interest.

7. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I like good food, so it would be great if I knew how to prepare it.

Could you perhaps explain to us some basic techniques and tips? Cooking for Dummies style would be nice :).

8. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Only if you go to the top named culinary schools. A local associate's degree and lobor board cert won't get you anywhere. I am a chef and in all my years not one restaurant asked me if I had a ACF Cert, or degree.

On the job experience is everything.

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

That's where I got my experience as a professional cook. Even then, I still love to learn new techniques and recipes.

10. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

This is the free school thread, so let's start exchanging our culinary knowledge.

One of the chefs should start :2thumbsup:.

Admitedly I can't add much to this thread, but I promise to be a good student :).

11. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

You can't cook or learn cooking from the net. Cooking is sensual, the internet is hand slutting. Cooking is a great art, the job of coooking is about how to bring art down to the level of wanting to kill yourself.

12. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I think the same is true for any art, actually. All art is passion and skill combined.
    Passion isn't something to be thought. Skill is, though.

Recipes, knowledge, techniques and tips can be shared on the internet just fine.

13. indydude

indydude Senior Member

What kind of knife skills should we learn. I know, keep fingers clear.

14. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

^^^
    This.

Some more questions:
    What's the right way to hold a knife?
    How to chop an onion quickly?
    How to peel a grapefruit (the professional way)?

15. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Knife skills? Use a Mandolin. As for cooking skills...we can give hints and techniques, but in the end it's up to the student to practice at home.

16. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Sure, we'll practice. :2thumbsup:
    What shall we cook today?

17. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

18. shameless_heifer

Starting a thread is not starting a class. Skip has to approve the request for a class and he will add it to the list of classes available in The Free School.

I hope to see you there.

19. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Thank you for the info :).
    It would be great to have a class on cooking, which doesn't focus just on vegetarian food. Or even if it is solely vegetarian, would focus more on the preparation and cooking techniques.

It looks like no one is really interested to be the teacher, though...:(

20. shameless_heifer

Maybe some one will come along and pick it up, Lively. I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.