crystal deodorant & me

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by moon.beam, Apr 15, 2008.

1. moon.beam

moon.beam Member

So I have been using the crystal deodorant for some time, which I love.. I use patchouli & lavender to scent myself & it's awesome.

The only problem I have is that every time I shave my armpits, the deodorant stings for a day or two when I apply it.
    I don't mind not shaving for a few days or a week or something, but my significant other is kind of freaked out by my hairy pits!
    I'm thinking I will just shave in the nighttime & put some salve on my pits overnight so that the burning isn't as intense. What would you all suggest using? Aloe vera comes to mind, but I wanted some input...

Thanks!
    Peace & Love,
    Moon Beam

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

be a lil carefull with the crystal deoderants
    1st off they are intended too be used once a week or once every 2 weeks i think not daily
    2nd when i and my ex had used it for several months we got a weird reaction, simular to shingles, our pits became ..scaley u could say..red iritated crusty ..ewww a freind said she believed it was a form of yeast infection in outr pits brought on by the crystal use.. we stopped using then and it cleared right up..

not sayin dont use em theyre great but be careful
    actualy i stopped using deoderants entirely years ago all deoderants cause more probs then they help.. a good diet is all u need to control odor
    with no deoderants at all nothing ever put in my pits.. i get absoloutely no smell at all..
    deoderants clog pours both causing oder and covering it

3. moon.beam

moon.beam Member

I mean, I've never read anything about not using it everyday, but I'll definitely be careful about that.
    & as far as pore-clogging goes, that's why I use this instead of a regular deodorant.. as far as I can tell, this is a topical treatment to kill/inhibit bacteria growth, as opposed to clogging pores in order to stop the sweat & covering the smell with perfumes.
    To be honest, for me it's not an option to not wear deodorant. :)

Anyway, my original question was whether aloe would be a good thing to soothe my pits.... thoughts on that? Anyone??

4. soaringeagle

ah well yes aloe should be good

yesaa the deoderant stones suposed to be used weekly and it wiull hill bacteria a week..

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I disagree with soaring eagle here. Which is rare. it is a daily use thing. usually creme deos are the several day form. To get a couple days out of the crystal you'd have to slather it.

but for your needs, try aloe with some baking soda and a random drop of some EO (sage is particularly nice)

6. soaringeagle

coulkd we be thinking about a different thing? its been awhile but its a clearish crystal stone u wet and aply and is suposed to be affective for a full week .. it never will get slatherable in fact never seemed to leave any anything behing residue wise i do specificlky remember it saying in it that it was meant to be applied weekly and would stay completely effective a weelk or longer...and it doid work very well just afer awhile it really iritated our skin..let me see what i can find
    yeayust did a lil lookin around and the 1 im talking about ya u use it once a week it will last ya a good 10 years
    u can wash every day and it doent takle away its effectiveness
    you;ll sweat but not smell
    good stuff

i can see usin it more often tho if u felt sticky or anything but u shouldnt need to more then about once a week
    as it says on anything that came with it

7. moon.beam

moon.beam Member

Not sure... it didn't come with anything that said that, but once again, I could be wrong. If it works for a week I'm more than happy to use it less often. This would save my skin, if nothing else. I'll have to test it out.

Drumminmama, how much baking soda are we talking here? & are you suggesting using JUST that in lieu of the crystal? Or is this just a treatment for my sensitive skin?

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

as a replacement.
    mix a bit of baking soda into a small dollop of aloe gel.
    don't let it get scratchy.

Soaring eagle, my crystal is the chunk sold in a cloth bag. Looks like an ice cube.

9. Lookit!

Lookit! Member

I use the Crystal Stick in the purple container you can buy at Whole Foods or health related stores. It usually only lasts me 3 days at most and that's with light activity. I don't have unusually stinky pits or anything. However, I don't shave, either, and I have never had a reaction from this product. I think anytime you shave/get razorburn/sloth of your top layer of skin cells, etc..followed by putting on a product you have a chance of getting some reaction (I had one with regular deodorant, back when I shaved my underarms.)
    The thing about the mineral stick is that it absorbs odor. I don't see why it might not absorb or create something that might harm opened/shaved skin. Rinsing it off real good under warm water will take out the absorbed smell. You are not supposed to use it on unwashed skin, I'd imagine that's because skin has bacteria on it naturally anyway, staph and other things. Just make sure that when using this mineral stick you clean yourself first to keep the stick clean, or clean the stick after each use to prevent it from irritating you further.

10. melissabee

melissabee ~BabbLe TraNsMiTTeR~

11. forfeitsundials

forfeitsundials Member

It made my left armpit sting today, but I think it's because I just shaved it.

12. HempMama

HempMama Member

My arm pits sting sometimes after I shave and I don't use deodorant at all. When I used to use deodorant, I would get a horrible burning feeling when I would get hot under my arms. It was so bad, I had to go home and change shirts once. That's pretty much when I decided no deodorant for me. I'm not sure that was it, but since my armpits are sensitive, I decided that less would be better for them.