Crush energy wasting lightbulbs!

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Anders III, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Anders III

Anders III Guest

Energy wasting lightbulbs are just stupid and they should be banned! They waste 95% of the energy by producing heat instead of light. Our waste of energy is the main reason for the rapid climate change. One easy step is to ban and replace all of them.

I've made stickers that you can replace them with (or even better, put an energy saving lightbulb in there). If the person ask you where the lightbulb is, point them to this page: http://shurl.org/lightbulbcrushvideo

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can post some photos here where I've done this. It would be fun to see yours!

2. RyJa

RyJa Member

Ontario is banning inefficient bulbs by 2012.

I'm 100% AGAINST it also. CFLs won't go in 98% of my lights here at home, because the shape of CFLs won't fit a lamp shade on them and I have many trilights. So unless companies start changing the shape of these "energy efficient" bulbs and making trilights, I'll be against this.

3. Anders III

Anders III Guest

I think it's great that some states have started to (or will) ban energy wasting lightbulbs. Hopefully other states, contries, EU etc will follow. One thing is that it will create an incentive for manufactors and retailers to improve the selection of CFLs (so they can fit most lamps ;) ).

I don't know how your lamp holders look like but I found this comparison on wikipedia, would that model work? They are improving all the time!

4. RyJa

RyJa Member

I've never seen those types...All I ever see in stores here are the spiral style.

I'm not sure whether or not any states are banning them, but here in Canada, as far I as I know Ontario is the only province to start the ban.

5. BodyElectric

BodyElectric Member

In five years, I'm sure we'll have more than just the standard spirals in the stores if the ban goes through.

6. Anders III

Anders III Guest

If you post a photo of your lamp holder with one of my stickers on it I might be able to send you this model from Sweden ;) But you should be able to find them in an online store if you can't find them near your place.

I've heard California might ban them in 2012 as well. And hopefully EU too soon - it's being worked on.

As I see it they should be banned NOW. We are already short of time if we want to combat global warming.

7. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Anders III, so are you the local light bulb salesman? Sure sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Oh goody. More ways to tell people what to do and suck money doing it. We SO need more bans on mundane things. Lightbulbs are probably the smallest consumer of energy in your house. What about the fridge, the stove, the water heater, the air conditioner? And for that matter, the toilet, the washer/dryer, the car you drive.......
    Oh yea, and lets ban christmas lights too.

Hey, maybe what's her name is right, we should ban using any more than one sheet of toilet paper to wipe our asses with too. So, what about the mercury in the newfangled wonder bulbs? Guess what, you can't just toss em in the trash when they burn out, 'cause they are considered toxic waste. And maybe a little mercury poisoning never hurt anyone if a bulb gets broken, but do you really want to find out? If you are worried about it, shut off the lights when you are not using them. If you are REALLY worried about it, shut off your electricity and use candles.

OR how about working on some REAL solutions like solar/wind/water power for the masses. Then it wouldn't matter what kind of light bulbs you used and the light bulb police wouldn't have to search your house and fine you for using the wrong kind, and the light bulb nazis could keep their noses to home.

8. Anders III

Anders III Guest

The potential for energy savings by JUST replacing those lightbulbs are huge. According to the International Energy Agency, electrical lighting uses 19 percent of all electricity produced. As you point out it has to be combined with renewable energy, but energy efficiency is a big and important part of the solution.

And time is running out, just look at the recent IPCC report on climate change, I mean we have to act fast folks. So even if a ban isn’t ideal, it’s a fast way of getting rid of something no one should be using anyway. How did we stop the ozone hole from growing? - We banned ozone depleting chemicals.

9. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Time is running out on who or what? Someone wants a guaranteed market. Let's all appoint ourselves as policemen to anything wasteful. I don't think you want to open that ball of wax.

How about turning off those cell phones, shutting down your computers while you are asleep.

10. gardener

I am sure our Governator and the republicans would love to tell us all what to buy.

11. gardener

We won't even save the polar bears but we will fill the pockets of the those that seek to control our lives.

12. gardener

I for one am out buying all the incadescent bulbs I can find.

13. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

My only concern with these CFLs is the fact that they contain mercury. This stuff is VERY hazardous to everyone and everything. Groundwater.. you name it.

14. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Exactly, it's a sad road ahead either way we go.

It's like people must be FORCED to recycle, FORCED to conserve energy, FORCED to care about life as we know it. What the FUCK?

15. gardener

Most people do care and do conserve (If only to lessen their utility bills.), but there are lobbyists that wish to tell us what we may buy. Light bulbs now, cars and computers next. But let's not question importing tainted food stuffs from China. That would be undemocratic, although hundreds of pets have died and the human food chain has been contaminated.

16. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

I just can't get over how much you sound like you are here to sell something. This is the typical mainstream blather you hear all the time in up and coming wealthy yuppy circles. There are litterally hundreds of realistic things that the human race could and should be doing to take some strain off mother nature, but creating a ban on lightbulbs? Create a lightbulb that is ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY and as inexpensive as regular lightbulbs, and then we'll talk. But worrying about lightbulbs at this point in time is like worrying about a speck of dust in a dust storm. I can see it now, 30 years from now, EVERYTHING we now use will be banned. We will be told what to eat, what to drink, what to wear, what to use, when to go to the bathroom, how often to have sex........... You get the picture.

Now, picture this. People invent BETTER and more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY gadgets which are cost competative. People decide for themselves to start buying these things BECAUSE THEY ARE ACTUALLY BETTER. Not because they are told they have to. Eventually the older less efficient and more costly gadgets phase out on their own. No bans. If Aunt Mildred is bound and determined to use her outdated wringer washer she can feel free, she won't go to the wringer washer jail for wasting energy.

It took the world a long time to get so screwed up, and alot of it does have to do with natural cycle, so we will only have so much effect as far as turning around global warming. Remember, the Earth was NOT created just to please humans. There would be climate changes with or without us. Taking responsibility for ourselves is something most people have never figured out. Stupid. We have to be offered BETTER or ALTERNATIVE solutions to our problems, NOT forced to do things of questionable value.

The "laws" we need to survive together as a human race were set in place eons ago. Most folks pay no attention. All these new rules, regulations, bans, etc. are so much lipstick on a corpse. Just more stuff to worry about that does nothing but annoy people who get sick to death of being told every move to make. People need to be taught right and wrong from birth and be given reasonable and right options for themselves along the way, and then we would not be wasting OUR energy worrying about lightbulbs. Stupid.

17. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

I would use the energy-efficient lightbulbs if they didn't cost an arm and a leg..........I can't afford them.

That being said, I support the environment implicitly, I do everything I feasibly can to live as environmentally friendly as possible within my means.........I very sparingly use gasoline, recycle, regularly pick up trash, conserve home energy use, and buy all organic products, i'm even utilizing off-grid and eco-friendly design elements into my homebuilding plans ...........but the day my liberty begins to be usurped by eco-fascists banning this and that, will be the day I leave every light and appliance in my house on, leave my water running, leave my car idling, and begin to burn huge drums of oil and waste fuels..........I will not have one more of my fucking rights taken away, and I will die fighting for them.

18. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

........also the day you come into my home or area and start taking lightbulbs and replacing them with stickers.........will be the day your introduced to the joys of skull fractures and body casts....

19. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

your real liberties are already being taken away from you on a daily basis...i am not talking about what light bulb you can buy in a store...these are not eco freeks doing it but your own government trying to protect you from all of those bad things in the world...what will you do about that?....will you throw a tissy fit in the parking lot ?:rolleyes:

fighting for your liberties takes more then childish tactics ...;)

20. mandell

mandell Banned

Right on!
    Dude, YOU ROCK!!! :)

Me too, I have a certain distrust for big gov, pigs, but pigs mostly, lol, and especially that undercover creep selling government issue light bulbs (probably made by some Haliburton outsourced spin-off). :mad: