Crazy...

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by TrippinBTM, Jan 26, 2005.

1. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

You have far more bacteria in your body than you have your own cells. BAM!

2. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

Ewww...thats a shitload of bacteria.

is shitload one word?

3. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

so...sme of the crap in our cells used to be bacteria, but they evolved with us t become mitochondira...they have their own seperate DNA and can be used to trace your family back thougsands of years

4. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

i would say so

5. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I'd say yes. At least hyphenated, but it's one idea, a large load of shit. Thus, one word.

And yeah, our mitochondria may have been bacteria once, but that's not what I was referring to. And even if you think that makes for a less amazing fact, I still say that if we have more bacteria than human cells in our body, that means we have at least 10 trillion bacteria on our skin, in our guts, in our lungs, in our mouths....

No matter how you look at it, you've got a lot...a shitload...of bacteria on and in you.

You are a living ecosystem! Amazing...

6. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

I love my bacteria.

7. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Good, they're keeping you alive, so you better! :H

8. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

This looks even creepier when you consider the numbers involved. Low end estimates for the human body total cell count stand at around 10 trillion, that's 10,000,000,000,000 total cells in the human body. High end estiamtes stand at roughly 100 trillion. http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/8.5.1.htm

It seems implausible that there could actually be mroe bacteria than that, but according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteria_in_the_human_body there are roughly ten times as many bacteria as there are human cells, wich makes for between 100,000,000,000,000 and 1,000,000,000,000,000 bacteria. If you could sell those bacteria for $1 each you could run the U.S. government at current gdp for between 20 and 200 years.

Of course the percentage of body weight made up of bacteria is far less disturbing; Less than 10 percent of dry body weight.

9. Children of Bodom

Children of Bodom Senior Member

Id say that even if they dont have the same DNA as my human cells do, they are part of my body and I need them to function. So they are mine

10. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

yeah man, for the most part, moving, living, organic matter tends to smell funnnky..

bacteria is why?

seriously, not one good-smelling thing comes from a human... piss, poop, vomit, spit smells gross after a while.

11. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

:pWell I don't know about you, but my poo smells like fresh baked cinamon rolls. My pee smells like latte. Not that I drink latte's; but where do you think they come from:p.

12. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

sweat can smell good if your in the mood haha

but what sort of thing are these bacteria? and i never knew mitochondria was a seperate organism.. i mean.. that cant really work :S

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

They were, billions of years ago. They're pretty much just part of the cell now, the cell and the mitochondria are completely dependant on each other.

The rest of the bacteria (the ones I was referring to, actually), well, they're hitchhikers. Some of them in our guts help us digest food, others are just getting a free meal. I read something like 40% of your feces is actually dead bacteria. I'll have to look into that.

You also have bacteria all over your skin (mainly in your pores), in your ears, mouth, nose, etc. Buncha friggin freeloaders....

14. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Member

wow!! that's like a lot of bacteria..
    so if u think about it.. we're fuckin' nasty beasts...

15. Major Peacenik

Major Peacenik Member

Awwwwwww I love my bacteria. And Jack_Straw, hot pic.