crafting the perfect sandwich

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by rhasta.penguin, Jun 11, 2006.

1. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

i wanna become better at making homemade sandwich's, but i just dont know how to make a really good one. usually i just get some slices of bread, some turkey, and lettuce, and call it good...but i know theres alot more that i can do to make a very tasty sandwich! please help me out here, im starving :D

2. MellowFellow

MellowFellow Member

Ooh, Sandwich Crafting:)

You need Buttered Bread, with Chicken, Lettuce, Cheese(sliced or grated), a light sprinkling of salt, Covered in Tomato Sauce(AKA Ketchup)

Happy eating!

3. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

It's a little something I like to call PB&J :H

or grilled PB&J

holy god that's out of this world :D

4. hollowayjay

hollowayjay Member

I always find toasting the bread is much better. You need meat and chees and lettuce and tomato and condiments and salt and pepper and then it's lovely

5. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Okay, at this vegetarian restaurant I ate at when I was in Vancouver, they served the best sandwich in the world- toasted whole-grain bread (club-style, 3 or 4 layers), peanut butter, raisins, and sliced pear. Mmmmmmmmm

7. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

you can virtually put anything on a sandwich - I did some voluntary work for a wildlife trust and the vegetarian team leader always used to turn up with scooby-doo type snacks with layers of cheese,salad,veggies,sultanas and nuts

but my favourite to make is tuna mixed with sweetcorn,mayonaisse,lemon juice,black pepper and slices of cucumber on thickly sliced wholmeal with sesame seeds

8. fritz

fritz Heathen

I just had deli sliced rotisserie chicken with colby jack, broccoli sprouts, & a bit of honey mustard on whole grain bagel bread. :D

9. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

First off you poor deprived sandwich amatuers bread is not an ingredient of the "PERFECT SANDWICH". I shall enlighten you all:

A large flaky croissant split in half.
    Honey smoked turkey meat
    lettuce
    tomato
    honey mustard
    havartti cheese

place the bottom piece of the croissant down, add meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato, then spread honey mustard on the bottom of the top piece, put the top piece over the stack of heaven and eat.

10. fritz

fritz Heathen

That sounds tasty! :)

11. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

one of the best sandwiches is good bread, mayo, provolone cheese, and avacado sooo good its really good with turkey to if you eat meat and on a crossant is even better yum!!! now i want one

12. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

experiment with spreads other than butter....hummus, tomato paste, chilli sauce, avocado, relish, salsa, dips - anything spreadable can take the place of butter and add interesting and delicious flavourage.

try diffrent kinds of lettuce too - things like rocket and spinach

and vinagrette or something weird like lime or lemon juice can add nice flavour to the humble sandwich.

It's all about variety - cruise you fridge for inspiration and make something that sounds odd but is yum.

My lunch today is:
    a piece of grainy brown bread, with avocado spread on it, then roasted red peppers, rocket, olives and slices of dried apricot. I then toasted another slice of bread, buttered one side with tomato paste and grilled some vegetarian blue cheese on top. I put that face down on top of the first piece of bread. I then put garlic hummus on the plain side of the toasted bread, topped that with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, grilled zuchinni, fresh tomato and some lettuce and put another piece of avocado bread on top to seal the thing off.

it's such a good sandwich - i'm out all day today so it's really filiing as well, and yes. Yum.

13. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Chutney is always good in a sarnie :)

14. mama in wonderland

mama in wonderland Member

Marble Rye bread, with swiss, turkey and apple slices, grilled until everything is all nice and melty.....mmmmm......

15. Fagin_The_Pagan

Fagin_The_Pagan Member

While i was at the big green gathering this year, me and my friend Ros just couldnt be arsed to leave the site to buy in some decent food so we managed to live off what we had saved from the last fest we were at which was a loaf of bread, a jar of marmite and half a dozen green apples. We pretty much managed to survive on marmite and sliced apple sandwhiches for the whole time we were there.

A propper sandwhich though, has got to be a basic fryed egg and thick smoked bacon, prefferably on a bagel, with a good load of tomato sauce - propper job.

16. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

Try making your favorite sandwich as a panini.

Put a cast iron skillet on the stove burner and turn it on med high. Take a second skillet of similar size, clean the bottom good with some vegetable oil on a cloth, and put it over another burner upside down, also on med high.

Make sandwich. Pour a little extra virgin olive oil in skillet #1, swirl around, and drop in the sandwich. Drizzle a little oil on top of sandwich, turn skillet #2 over and press lightly on top of sandwich, leave until sandwich is lightly toasted and any cheese is melted. As for the olive oil, use the good stuff as it's more for taste than just to prevent sticking.

If you have an herb garden (no, not THAT kind of herb), pick a couple of sprigs of this or that to put in the sandwich. Makes a big difference.

17. osirisofwraiths

osirisofwraiths Member

oh i like sammiches... i get a steak roll and put on better and garlic and then throw that into the toaster and then get some honeyed ham and make a layer of that followed by some pepperjack cheese and then a layer of roast beef and then a layer of mozzeralla and then a layer of more honey ham then then put just the meat and cheese in the microwave for like 20 seconds and then put some hienz 57 sause on the bread and then add your meat and cheese and toss i some hotsauce... it makes a damn good sammich

18. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

pfff no ones mentioned egg salad? gotta love egg salad....