Crafting for the craft-impaired?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Dolphin~Rider, May 28, 2004.

1. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

Can any of you give me an idea of a good starter craft that's not too hard to learn and is fun to do? I come in the craft forum all the time and read the posts and I really want to learn to make something cool, but I've never been very good at crafting and I don't want to set myself up for failure by trying something that's too complicated/skilled for me. I kind of thought beading might be good. Any help? Please?

2. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

Try macrame (sp). if you can tie knots you can do it. Start with something simple like a braclet with maybe one bead then go from there. I will try and dig out a pattern for you if your interested.

Love & Suggestions
    EnonEmouse

3. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

paper mache!
    It is fun and messy ~ gets your hand gooopy! It is cheap too!
    Look up paper mache on the internet~

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

try making bead jewelry... just go the a normal habberdashery shop and buy elastic, or thonging and beads and pendants... buy fome femo and make some pendants. its just like playdough :)

5. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to look into these ideas. I'm sure there are lots of web sites. Anything else?

6. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Yes.....macrame is extremely easy..even when u get into the hard stuff...it's still easy..it is simply tying a knot around a string...i could also help u if ur interested..........hemp jewlery is fun!!!!

7. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Rag rugs/hooked rugs, so simple even my brother can do them.
    I'm working on a Winnie the Pooh one at the moment.

You can get kits with pre cut wool printed patterns and such. Or else just buy the canvas and hook then use old clothes/wool. Great way to recycle.

Once you get in the swing then you can do something else at the same time (like watching TV) and it will grow really quickly.

TTFN

Sage

8. GentleHeartLamb

GentleHeartLamb Member

well I think if you get any klutz books/kits they are cool the come with the stuff to make things with and they come with a book to tell you how to do it I got both a bead one and embroyary braclet one (frenship braclets with sring and not no hemp)

9. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Here's something I learned in an art class when I was little: simple yarn weaving. Very easy to do. You take a peice of cardboard...doesn't really matter what size...standard paper size is a good size. Cut notches on the top and bottom that are evenly spaced at say 1 inch apart. Make sure the top notches and bottom notches line up. Then take twine and tie it around the first notch at the top, then weave it along the notches from top to bottom. (sorry kinda hard to explain in words). But you should end up with lines of twine going from top to bottom all the way across.

Now...here's the creative part...weaving with yarn. Just cut peices of yarn, doesn't matter what lengths because you can always add more if you need more of a specific color. And weave the yarn through the twine and tie the ends to the twine when the piece ends. There are things you can do other than the basic weave. You could look at stuff about weaving or knotmaking to get new ideas. And you can try making pictures with the yarn. I've also gone back over a basic weave with a needle and yarn to make more elaborate pictures. You could also add beads and such. And once you're done..ooo...I can't remember if you just take the whole thing off the board or if you cut the end loops of twine and then tie them together. Haven't done one in years. hm...guess you'd have to experiment. I used to make weavings all the time for my family. They have them hanging all over the place. lol!

10. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Macaronii and paste!

11. waterlily5

waterlily5 Member

:) Try stained glass- all you need are a few glass paints from the craft store, and something to paint on -plain glasses make great candleholders! -if you are not confident painting freehand you can draw on a design with ohp pens (the wipeable kind) first.

12. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

a) collect beer bottle caps and decorate frames of pictures, mirrors, and windows

b) take up rug hooking - it's a SUPER easy craft and it's fun!
    c) go through the housewares section of any thrift store... items like mugs, tea pots, etc are just waiting to be repainted
    d) painting ceramics
    e) collect ribbons, yarn, rhinestones and buttons and make fringe and decorations to the clothes in your closet!

13. teeny_tiny_little_me

teeny_tiny_little_me Member

The macreme is a great idea, and so is beaded jewlery! I stopped the whole crafty thing for a few years, and that was the first thing I did to get me back in the mood and give me some confidence.
    There's those hemp packs you can get in the craft section of most department stores which teach you how to do the simple basic knots...just don't get one that looks too complicated, or you may get a little frustrated. When you've gotten a little more comfortable with that, there's lots of websites that could help you learn some new stitches and you can start designing some of your own things. :)