Countdown To Parliament's Brexit Vote

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

On Tuesday Parliament will vote on the Brexit deal with the EU. May lost three votes in a day in Parliament this week. Looks like her deal is getting shakier by the minute.

2. Joshua Tree

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

What I think doesn't really matter, as I'm American. But I don't really see how to have another Brexit referendum per se. You had the one and everyone voted to Brexit. How do you cry "do over" and how do you explain to all those "Brexiteers" that their initial referendum doesn't count.

I don't like the idea personally, but the vote should stand. As for the fate of Theresa May, I think she should be able to stick it out, though I'm curious what Jeremy Corbyn would do if in power.

5. Joshua Tree

Maybot survives again. Is Maybot invincible? She's certainly giving Terminator a run for his money.

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think there will, be another vote by the public... that's what will decide her fate..

If the public change their mind.. she goes, if we leave.. she stays.

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I think the idea as presented by most people is to have a public referendum on the final deal, as the initial referendum was simply whether people wanted to leave or not, but without any idea of what that would involve.

morrow and soulcompromise like this.
  8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Honestly, I kind of feel for May. She was given an impossible job to do and, surprise, surprise, wasn't able to do it in a way that satisfies everyone.

Seems like the hardline Brexit people want everything beneficial about the current arrangement without having to contribute in the same way as the rest of the EU members. Obviously the EU isn't going to allow that.

morrow likes this.
  9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Looks like it's going to be either a disastrous crash out with no deal which would decimate the economy etc, or a new public vote leading to the same, or more likely the UK remaining in the EU.

May's deal is not going to get through Parliament, so those seem to be the choices.

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

Reminded me of Pete.. RIP

Mallyboppa likes this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It has never been more clear that the people who voted out were lied to. They never were able to get what they were promised. And now there's the risk there's no deal at all because the only deal they can get sucks.

eggsprog likes this.
  13. morrow

morrow Visitor

I believe people voted out purely because of the amount of foreign people in the country.. they believed that the drain on the NHS, the promise of housing and the stupid benefit system we have here would be sorted by having our borders back.. that's it.. but it seems that's not so... so if they voted again, I think it would be different... I might even vote myself this time lol

Enoch Powell... listen to his speech.

eggsprog likes this.
  14. Rots in hell

The sooner we get it sorted the Better If there is another vote Remain will probably win because the Leave voters wont bother voting When no one listened to them the first time ! Yes we will put up with it but the people of Britain will have been cheated and democracy is a sham !

Proud to have Voted Leave !

Modasflower, tumbling.dice and morrow like this.
  15. Rots in hell

16. BlackBillBlake

So - Maybot lost by 230 votes.

Pretty much as predicted.

Have to wait and see what will happen now. I think any form of brexit became a lot less likely with tonight's vote.

17. Rots in hell

Half of the ones That voted it down want a Hard brexit not no brexit ! Lets see how Corbyns "no confidence" vote goes that will tell you more !

18. BlackBillBlake

He'll alomost certainly loose. The tories will hang on no matter what. If May had any integrity at all, she at least should resign as she's made a total mess and wasted 2 years.

As for the final outcome of all this - we'll just have to wait and see.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

UK's May faces no-confidence vote after Brexit plan crushed

I honestly think you can, and should, ask the same people twice now if they still want to leave the EU. I'm not from there and don't have a vested interest, but I'd hate to see it go forward the way things are.

I shouldn't say very much about this I gather...

20. BlackBillBlake

Trouble is it's hard to find any constructive way forward with this mess. May's 'deal' is now dead and can't be renegotiated - crashing out would be too much of a risk.

Personally I think they've made a complete mess in having the first referendum, and the only way out is to have another. Also the demographics have changed - a whole lot of elderly 'leave' voters have died off, a lot of young people who weren't eligible before could now vote. Probably remain would win.

Labour seem to be intent on proceeding with brexit despite the fact that a lot of their supporters don't want this. Pretty useless as regards being a real opposition IMO. Corbyn seems to be lost in some 1970's fantasy world.

This country's political stystem is seriously unfit for purpose as proven by this complete fiasco. We need to get rid of the westminster dinosaurs and come up with radical change.

soulcompromise likes this.