could i be addicted?

Discussion in 'Deadbear's Gym' started by t-dub, Jan 12, 2005.

1. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

i usually go to the gym in the morning, but come evening, i want to go work out again. is this healthy for me to do? does my body need to rest, as in sleep, between workouts? i feel the urge to go everytime i eat something, but i know that cant be healthy, and its impossible. maybe im just being weird, but i love to sweat and feel the burning sensation i get while working out, and its like i crave it all the time. maybe i should just get a gym at my home... i would never leave.

2. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Not at all... some people have limits, but you're bodys the best indicator of it.

If you're feeling ready for another workout, then its fine to work out again.

Just don't push yourself too hard. [​IMG]

3. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

It would only pose a problem if you are running to the gym after eating a banana and doing a hardcore workout.

4. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

ya i would say that would pose a problem! :D

5. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Yeah working out can be quite addicting.. :D Like Lodui said, if your body is up to, why not? :D

6. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

Rest is an important part of exercise. Your muscles do need to recover sometime.

And yeah, some people can get addicted to exercise, more specifically endorphins. It's probably more psychological than physical.

7. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

if you think your body can handle it, i don't think theres a problem. but your body does need rest for your muscles to grow. so just be mindful and listen to what your body tells you.

8. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

it's interesting, i just started a class today about drug alcohol and behavior.. but really mainly about addictions... one of the things my teacher mentioned was excercise... it can be okay unless it interferes with the rest of your life or if you're having physical probs because of it. his example was being a runner and blowing your knees out. but since you love that "runner's high" you continue to run even after blowing your knees out... there's a limit to everything... *shrug* just keep it in mind... don't let it adversely effect other important things in your life... :)

9. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Very true... your body does need a signifigant amount of rest or else you will set your self up to burn out. For example, if you work on strength training with weights for your arm muscles, focus on a different group the next day so the muscles have enough time to relax.

You are correct. Addiction to exercise Psychological as opposed to physical.

10. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Ok, i think that is okay to go twice a day..my parents do and their doctor said that is great...and like said above u should not work weight train 2 times in a row..swich it up..do some cardio and then weight train next time...maybe get a pilates video for when ur at home(it'll kick ur ass it's so hard..) although u shouldn't eat before u work out because then all u r doing is burning what u ate..not already existing body fat..I would suggest only eating say a bananna or some yogurt or something before working out...and having plenty of water..

I am pleasantly mentally addicted to working out also..i do get high off it for about an hour..then i come down hard core !! :) and infact it's a very healthy thing...u need to excersise regularly...as long as u drink lots of water so u do not dehyrdate yourself..and u r doing ur excersises properly (to not physically harm ur body) u should be in good health and great shape!!! KEEP IT UP MAMA....

11. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

ya, instead of going to the gym all the time, ive been doing a pilates and a yoga video when im at home. Its seems to help my cravings for exercising. and plus i feel more comfortable when i am at home.. theres not so many people.

12. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

The only thing that concerned me about your post is that you said you feel compelled to exercise after you eat. That is the beginings of an eating disorder. Take some time out and re-evaluate why you exercise. Sure you do get a "high" off of it because of the release of endorphins, but is that really why you are doing it. Are you doing it to stay healthy and to gain confidence and overall well being. Or are you doing it to control something or because you have an addictive behavior. I think you are pretty smart and you know what's up with your own body. I really don't think you are doing anything out of the ordinary. Sounds to me like you have extra energy and you found something that you really enjoy.

That being said, exercise addiction is actually becoming a more prevalent problem. Especially with many young people trying to look a specific way, both male and female. I was once addicted to exercise, it was about 5 years ago or so. I worked out about 5 hours a day on average. Needless to say I couldn't hold a job because of the need to work out all day long. Then I found a job as a runner, so I was constantly moving. But in the end after therapy I realized that I was exercising not because I wanted to, but because I was escaping something else and I needed the control. Basically, I didn't want to deal with my life the way it was, so I'd run for hours. Then I'd lift weights for a while alone, just with my mind going on in my fantasy world, then I'd do the step class for a while, etc. I have addictive behaviors anyway, and that wasn't my first addiction, so I recognized the signs and got help. Now it is my only desire to be healthy, fit, strong and most importantly help others feel the same way.

Take care of your body and it will take good care of you.

Jen

13. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

My room mate practically lives at the gym...my friend goes like 3 times a day, shes a gym rat as well. I usually stay at the gym for three hours at a time. I find vitamin E helps in muscle recovery. Eat lots of berries too. at least it helped me and of course, drink lots of water during workouts, stay hydrated. Remember to stretch before and after workouts too. May sound dumb, but do it properly. Doing it incorrectly can be bad, there are instructual books.

Mixing up workouts is good. When I did cross country training I liked to swim or bike or play basketball in place of my morning runs from time to time. I also rowed during the spring. Diverify.

alright, I gotta sleep, there I go posting after 3 again. gotta get up in a few hours