Corporal Punishment in Schools...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mystical_shroom, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I was watching the news the other day, and some little girl in kindergarten was beaten with an instrument, didnt really know if it was a ruler or what, but she had bruises all along her backside and such. Now, I know that in 27 states(if not exact, somewhere close to that) corporal punishment has been banned, how come its not banned in all 50? I am just surprised at home parents can't discipline their children cause if they do its basically considered child abuse, but yet 24 states allow teachers to beat, spank, or inforce physical punishment on children if they misbehave? That just makes no sense to me whatsoever....
    I am totally against corporal punishment, and just wanted to see what others thought as well....

2. UrsusKind

UrsusKind U like Chris Farley?

spar the rod and spoil your day I always say.

Trust me there are some little twerps who abuse other kids at school and maybe a spanking would do them OK

3. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

no, this wasnt spanking, this was like beating. If there are marks left, thats a problem. Plus, if I had a child, i wouldnt want anyone else to lay their hand on them but me.

4. UrsusKind

well these are the rules for legal spanking in my state. No object may be used, and it has to be open handed. Otherwise it is abuse. If someone in a possition of my trust at school had to spnk my bboy because he was being an utter ass, i feel they are helping me do my job. I mean I can't tolerate teasing, bullying, theft,. to me these things can lead to my child growing into a monster as an adult. not to mention the spanking my son would recieve as a child for his behaviors would be by far lighter than what would be done to him by society as an adult.

5. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I just wouldnt feel comfortable with someone else besides me spanking or hitting my child, regardless. Sorry, I know others might feel different, but I dont think anyone should lay a hand on my child besides me and the father. But thats just the way I feel, I know others feel differently...

6. UrsusKind

yeah I can totally understand your feelings and I had them too. But I started thinking my child ultimately is responsible not just to me and my wife but to society to. Society will punish my child for things he does that are not acceptable and as a parent I have to raise him to live in the real world with morals and values that others might no view as real. Now if I was anti spank and I may someday be nobody better not lay a hand on my boy. LOL

7. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

In kindergarten, those kids can't be doing anything THAT bad to warrant a beating. I mean, what was she doing? Not sharing?

8. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

There's definitely a difference between discipline and abuse. If you're spanking your child and you're not leaving marks, breaking skin, etc...that's not really abuse unless you're doing it everyday for absolutely no reason. Sometimes it's necessary. (I know, a lot of you will disagree...lol let me have it!) BUT I don't feel that's the teacher's place. Discipline should take place in the home, not in the school. And if proper discipline isn't being done in the home...well that sucks for the teacher... I don't know what the solution would be there, actually... but I don't think teachers should be allowed to spank their students at all, let alone with a ruler or something.

9. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Im not antispank, I was spanked as a child..
    But all I am saying, I dont think its right for a teacher to touch a child. How do you know that the teacher actions were justified, like maybe what you would consider okay, the teacher wouldnt and would spank your child. I dont want some stranger putting their hands on my child, ever.

10. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i'm totally against a teacher hitting/spanking a child in school, especially in kindergarten. shit, when i acted up at that age, i was sent to timeout or i couldn't have play time that day...that was enough to curb me from acting up most of the time:D

at the age, theres so many things the teacher could do. leaving marks, thats abuse. if i was the parent, i'd be taking some action against the school and probably pull me kid fromt he school.

11. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

Exactly..
    I use to work at a daycare, and I could never imagine putting my hands on someone elses child no matter how they acted.
    The thing that gets me, is if a parent spanks their child at home, some might consider that abuse, but yet if a teacher does it, thats okay. I guess I just think only the parent should be the one to physically discipline their child.

12. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

kindergartners should not be beat or spanked. period.

now high school girls..... they need a spanking!! preferrably with their knickers down to their knees.

but thats just me.

13. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

hahaha smooth :D

14. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

let's just say... if i had a kid and a teacher did that to MY child....

hahaha.... it reallly wouldnt be pretty.

15. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

I can't believe there are comedians and others that still joke about this and think it's acceptable. I'm so glad that people can't use stuff to beat kids. I use to get paddled and hit with yardsticks and rulers and it was for not doing homework or classwork. (I was depressed and all it did was make matters worse.) I'm glad kids don't have to go through that crap.

16. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

exactly..
    how can you justify a beating from a teacher for not doing homework, you just cant..

17. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

nuns used to do it all the time in catholic school. I never ever got in trouble, well not bad enough to warrant me going to the principals office. I was scared as a little kid. the principal was a nun, and I thought Id get a beating with a yardstick, so I was an angel, most of the time.

when my parents were going to catholic school back in the 50s and 60s, they said it was common for nuns to smack you with a ruler if you didnt pay attention or do your work...

18. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

yeah, my dad went to catholic school and such..

But I dont know it just doesnt seem right to be able to hit children that arent yours, and again parents arent aloud to cause its basically considered child abuse ya know what I mean...

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i'm pro-punishment, but i won't let anyone else hit my child. kai has had he behind swatted before, but it's a totally extreme measure, since it hurts her feelings and i can't cope with that. but if someone lays a finger on my child they better prepare to have it broken.

20. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I know, and the thing is.... nuns and priests should set an example. they should be holy should they not?? I mean they are people of the faith..... and when you see them get angry and beat a kid, thats just wrong. its hypocritical if you ask me. they preach about how you should love one another, yet they take their aggressions out on kids who misbehave.