Core2Duo vs Normal CPU

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by *Andy*, Apr 18, 2007.

1. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Is a Core2Duo CPU thingy better than a P4? I'm just wondering as we may be getting a new PC soon.

I'm not too sure on the speed of the Core2Duo CPU or whatever it is that we may be getting, but I will find out as I'm sure it will be hard to assist me if you don't know the speed of either processor.

2. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

when saying it is a P4, that would most likely be the genuin Pentium 4 processor. it is a 32bit processor. the clock speed (Ghz/Mhz) may vary on different ones but they are simply 32bits.

the Core2Duo CPU is twice as powerful as the P4. it is 64bit, which means it is like having two P4 processors in one package. the actual output speed can vary according to how your Operating System is setup. reguadless, the 64bit processor will still outperform the 32bit processor.

there are some exceptions but generally if it just says P4, it is 32bit. the Core2Duo is guarrentied to be 64bit and is one of the best desktop/gamer/workstation/mobile processors available.

3. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Yeah cool. I thought it was something like that. So will the PC run twice as fast as a P4?

4. dodger988

dodger988 Member

The core 2 duo is a newer, more efficient chip. However, it has nothing to do with it being 64 bit. Hardly any programs are set up to take advantage of 64 bit cpus. And even if they are, the speed up is relatively minimal. The Core 2 Duo is a better chip than the P4 for a variety of reasons. First off, it's much faster per mhz. In addition, the two cores will allow you to multitask and still retain optimal performance. If you have the choice, you should definitely go with the core 2 duo. It's better on every level than the P4.

5. Adderall_Assasin

are you saying that i am wrong? Fuck that, your wrong! (lol :p )

no actually, the OS must be setup to take advantage of the 64 bit thing. but even the 32 bit OSes run faster on 64 bit machines. the application has nothing to do with the chipset or motherboard/CPU combo. all that snazz is handled by the OS and the different managers in the OS.

you need a 64 bit OS to run true 64 bit. but you need an application that is compatible with a 64 bit OS, not a 64 bit processor.

this is why source code is so valuable. it is portable.

6. dodger988

dodger988 Member

that's what I was basically implying. I guess I should have been more clear. Yeah, to get a benefit, you need a 64 bit OS, which in turn needs a 64 bit CPU.

7. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Okay cool thanks dudes :)

8. sentient

sentient Senior Member

dudes you dont know what the fuck you are on about (LOL :)) (joking)

The dual core processors are different on every level to a P4, It has nothing at all to do with 64 bit processing, because you can have dual core 32 bit processors. Dual core is more a matter of reducing size and wattage in relation to processing power and opens up new possibilities for programs that can take advantage of dual or multicore processing. It is a step toward much better multitasking and that is all
    But it has very little to do with 64 bit architecture perse' as it can be used under all architectures theoretically
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Core_Processors

9. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Okay all I really want to know is - Does it run much faster and is it worth the extra cash?

Thanks for the inputxorz :D

10. Adderall_Assasin

jeeze sentient, i know exactly what you are talking about but we cant possibly explain it here in a few posts. now this is going into true 64 bit architecture which is different in a certain respect. (but we arent going there.)

most all Core2Duo chips are 64 bit though. most brand new P4 chips have HyperThreading technology which is kinda like a simulated 64 bit chip, but respectfuly not truly 64 bit.

i believe the Core2Duo usually has a faster frontside bus and bigger caches. the P4 will probably have higher Mhz but it is not 64 bit like the Core2Duo.

(minutes later)
    i just read an article about this stuff with benchmarks and wattage use. the Core2Duo is way better than the P4. Core2Duo is faster and more powerful and uses less electricity. here is the article. dont get the CoreDuo and Core2Duo mixed up though.

http://www.hardwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/50/

11. All I want to know is will my youtube videos load faster, and will it eventually be cheaper than using p4

12. Adderall_Assasin

deffinately cheaper than a P4 in electricity. your youtube videos will load faster with a faster internet connection. a P4 or Core2Duo should load youtube pretty fast. Core2Duo is faster though.

13. scottb75

scottb75 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I recently built a new PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 and its pretty fast specially since I have it overclocked to 3ghz.

14. dodger988

dodger988 Member

meh, my computers getting old. I'm not feeling the urge to upgrade every 6 months like I used to.