Convincing an admissions guy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Dave_techie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

The other cause was that teachers would mark dickheads up , pat themselves on the back ( what "excellent" teachers...:rolleyes:) and demand a pay rise...:rolleyes:

So we wound up with Oxbridge Astrophysics grads working in McDonalds...( seriously)

BTW can you do Neural Network stuff Dave?

2. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

only in the most primitive sense.

3. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

Off topic, but my husband is a lot like you on the degree issue. I must say though, having a BA has been useful to me and I learned a lot in college-very little BS.
    I can write anything wihtout help from anyone, am very artsy and have a great paying job.
    Doesn't sound like BS to me!
    It does hurt when you have gone to school for years while working full-time and people think your degree is useless or as my husband likes to call it 'another check int he box'.
    REALLY IRRITATES ME.

4. Dave_techie

you have a B.A. in psychology, which, is rationally a science.

I'm talking those fucks with b.a. english, b.a. journalism, sorts of things.

linguistics is nailed as an art, but it is a science.

5. IamnotaMan

:(
    LOL:)
    I've done perceptrons and shit.Looking to use something more advanced.
    How primitive?

Might use MATLAB or something.
    Or kidnap an Indian science student who's visiting Britain...:p

6. Dave_techie

like, cellular automata hashing primitive.

I mean, I also played with something to work on RSA, but, it never worked properly.

7. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

No, I don't. I have BA in Liberal Arts, which everyone I have ever been with except one person (who also had a degree) has constantly cut me down about. I gotta be honest, if these comments came out before I moved here I think i would still be living in San Diego. They fucking hurt. Check mark in a box my ass.

8. IamnotaMan

Hmm.Interesting.I'm looking to use it on algorithmic trading.
    (as a precursor to the global economic meltdown that I'm planning - but dont tell anyone..:p)

9. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

PS Dave-write your essay about your difficulties with Epilepsy and how you have more control over it now, than you did when you got your previous grades and in some way tie in that it's a gift so it looks like you have a postive outlook and all that stuff.
    It should help a bit.

10. Dave_techie

I'm sure you learned a great deal, but 20 years ago, you wouldn't have needed that degree for the same (actually, better, with inflation) pay, for the same job you are doing now.

and you would have been able to do it right after high school

and the world didn't collapse with "uneducated" people making kids feel better about themselves.
    [

I am certain you worked hard for your degree, I respect that, but, I think it's silly that we live in a society that now needs degrees for everything.

11. Cate8

Cate8 Senior Member

Im a broadcast journalism school drop out.

okay, seriously, half those kids couldnt read. I have a great voice for tv/radio. But it wasnt in the cards for me.

12. Dave_techie

statistical modeling treating each new datum as a new weight could help, although, I know statistics and economics are divergent branches of the same tree.

13. IamnotaMan

Hmm yep thats what the perceptron did.
    It seems ok , but a bit crude compared to the human mind.
    And "overfitting" of the data with the models is a problem.
    Anyway... alittle off topic LOL

14. Dave_techie

well, you'd have to put in a "clause" that made it weight based on media reporting or something

you'd need to put in the media factor, and toss in a few variables for human panic response, which, though represented in the data set that should be going in, I dunno

weather might also play a role because it affects mood

time of year certainly does.

the human mind works better because it can add data sets and weight them accordingly with no effort, what you need to do is design something that can add more tables, and provide the thing with all the information possible

and, of course enter in a table to demonstrate different levels of informed....

15. IamnotaMan

Good stuff.Sounds like u've thought of this before?:)

It sounds a gigantic job really.I think the difference between 2 similar sets of rules is so big ,its easy to see why its only a partial tool.

I've spoken to people who found that a complex set of rules would kill its effectiveness in forward learning.

16. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I agree with the bottom part. You should not need a degree for a lot of things that do require one.
    I respect people's decision nto to go to college. I just wish people would respect my decision too. I am sorry I am totally transfering my feelings towards my husband's comment onto you.
    PS-NV is the only state where you can do my job without a Masters. Nevada is a crazy ass state man. Carzy.

17. Dave_techie

actually, I hadn't thought about it much at all, it just makes sense

and, you could probably use a few separate sets of neural networks, each unaware of what the others are doing, and each having one of the different sets of rules

then you don't hinder learning, but you get your results

you would have to have an equation fed into the central one, instead of flat values, but, that's not bad.