Convincing an admissions guy

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Dave_techie, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

How does one go about convincing the admissions department of a private college that focuses on teaching flying, and aerospace engineering (among other things, but, I don't give a fuck about the other stuff honestly) that your past grades are not an indication of future performance?

I have come to the conclusion that the one act that will most simply fix my life, and give me a majority of the things I want, is to go to college

for a long time I have been a preacher of the gospel that college is not for everyone and should not be required for ninety percent of the things it has come to be required for (I don't care who you are, needing a degree to type someones letters, retarded)

BUT, I want to do one of those things it actually makes sense to go to school for (hard math/science, it amuses me that a bachelor of sciences is called a B.S. when the bachelor of arts side of the spectrum is filled with more B.S.)

ANYWAY

I have to convince an admissions counselor that I would make a good rocket scientist, and that their school would see me as a boon

so, how does one sell ones self?

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

By getting good standardized test scores.

By donating money to the school.

By using the epilepsy card.

3. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

I don't know how it is in America but here you can take BTECs which are basically the equivelent of GCSEs in case you mucked those up. Then you can continue whichever route you want. :confused:

sorry.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know what you could tell the guy, but if you take a semester or two at a community college, taking classes that will be required anyway, and get all A's, that usually will convince them.

or you could point out your standardized test scores. i suspect you did quite well on either the ACT or SAT, and if you didn't take one, you still can.

5. Dave_techie

okay, option one, easy, awesome

option two, impossible, damn

option three, I never considered this

how would one play said epilepsy card? how would it go on an application, and how would I use it in interviews and essays? really, never thought of this.

6. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

oral persuasion

7. Dave_techie

you're more interesting when you talk about violence.

8. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

9. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

well threaten to cut the blood eagle on his children then

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Say that it made you depressed and that it was hard for you to come to terms with it, or some really sentimental stuff like that that would get a fucking shrink giddy with pill prescriptions. Show how you still did well educationally outside of school, and blame your bad grades on something out of your control. Don't make it sound too weak or anything like that. Write it in a way that does get you some pity, but eventually makes the reader know that you overcame the problems and aren't bothered by them anymore.

Would potentially attach it to the application, or simply mention it in the admissions essay. Just letting them know that you have epilepsy and that it's hard to live with, should automatically give you a slight advantage.

11. Dave_techie

sort of like " I could not meet the goals I KNEW I could meet because, for a time, I had an invisible foe, eventually named, diagnosed, as epilepsy"

bullshit?

12. Dave_techie

...I was right to consult this hive of evil genius.

13. Jaitaiyai

Considering the question I think this was the best answer. :tongue:

14. Dave_techie

I want to be a rocket scientist.

not marilyn monroe.

15. Jaitaiyai

Monroe did that?

Besides, I bet most budding scientists have that kind of mindset, by being the only one otherwise they'll be more likely to accept you ahead of your potential peers.

16. Dave_techie

I don't doubt that plenty of people haven't had the mindset I do, and I doubt I'd be the first, so, I'd rather get in on my handicap, or some other manipulation than by prostituting myself

and besides, I'm a virgin, I should at least get dinner first.

17. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

18. Dave_techie

I actually have a diagnosis for clinical depression, I could get diagnosed with ADD (my doctor only hasn't because I told him emphatically that I would not be diagnosed with that.)

19. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

20. Dave_techie

okay, so you're saying take everything that could be seen as sucking about my life, and write an essay about it?