Consciousness, A Discussion

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Meagain, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

No, those aren't the only ways to interpret what Goswami said------he said that it is, "...possible movements of consciousness," and then said that, I choose, "...moment by moment my experience." He didn't say that he has control over what he chooses, or that he chooses exactly as he wants moment by moment, or even that it is chosen with his ego-based conscious mind.

After all, we all know that moment by moment life does not go how we want it to. If you asked Goswami about this, I'm sure that he would explain to you that even if a part of him did believe that he could float, life experiences and empirical evidence would clearly tell him that the bigger possibility is that he would fall---and the material world is possible movements of consciousness. If a part of him believed that he could float in the air, and another part of him believed that he would fall to his death----which part would win out in the eventual outcome?

If most religious people were truthtful, they would tell you that fear is a much stronger emotion than faith and belief. A person who believes they could float in the air, even if they believe it is based on science, probably should not test this by risking their lives and jumping out a window. They better 'know' they can float in the air before doing such a thing.

It's been a few years since I've seen 'What the bleep do we know,' but it seems to me that they even talked about having negative outcomes occur because of negative thoughts.

We know this kind of thing happens all the time----psychology even understands this. Take for example most lottery winners----statistics demonstrate that most winners, no matter how big the winnings are, eventually end up poor, or at least back where they started. Why does this happen? Because the winnings challenge the subconscious perception they have of themselves. They may have struck it rich, but subconsciously they do not believe themselves to be rich----they therefore waste money and do foolish things until they have lost all that money. They typically do not even realize what they are doing----but it is all about their maintaining their self-image of themselves.

I therefore find it ridiculous in such discussions to suggest that someone go against logic, reason, and common sense in order to prove a point, when is that very logic, reason, and common sense, that plays out in determining their reality.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

^ you didn't post ... the entire quote

3. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

Well if you call the conclusions of even Quantum Physicists with Ph.D's Pseudoscience then I'm not sure what ISN'T Pseudoscience.

I don't see what the hell floating in the air has to do with anything at all. That's a terrible example and way to test Non-Locality or Non-Local Consciousness.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Just because he has some ideas that can be considered pseudoscience doesn't mean all his ideas are nor does it invalidate his education. Great challenge posited by Shermer!

5. ChinaCatSunflower02

Well he is presenting his ideas as Science, so it sounds to me like you're being picky and just sifting through the stuff that sounds too airy-fairy and calling it Pseudoscience.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Where is the experiment to test the hypothesis?

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This is from the wiki on What the Bleep?

so it's been noted as having pseudoscience, maybe the director's took some liberties with goswami's statements, I'm just going by what was posted.

8. ChinaCatSunflower02

I already have posted Goswami's test

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

deep gave my graduation speech - he was a maharishi pundit - his guru is oprah - and he is full of shit - can't write - tried to read, 'Merlin?' there's a reason why you didn't. his primordial sound techniques sucked - he ripped off the sri yantra for a five minute staring meditation

pundit
    pundits
    all you - this man is soooo great
    are punditures

think for yourselves

10. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Here is the last part of my post that I did this evening in the thread on Quantum Mechanics and determinism:

1 person likes this.
  11. connorguy1234

connorguy1234 Members

But what if it just is poverty,rape,murder,pedofiles, but its actually a little more reasonable= we came from mud, mothernature hates us, and is there even a meaning to life, what if it goes black like an old tv witha dot fading, you wouldnt be scared, you wouldnt think well its blackness, simply you wouldnt exist you wouldnt be scared, just.. nothing,people are scared of losing control but, take for instants fallout 4= everyone is scared they dont want to die but, simply what is going to happen has already happened every second after the time you are born you are dieing,but still take some time to just look around try to make what you got a good life, everybody dies, everybody blacks, people shouldnt be scared time is a single demension, on purpose= to keep everything from happening at once, we had a chance here on earth, we killed mother nature and we are killing our own species so for th epeople who read hopefully find peace somewhere and accept this. goodbye.