Conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter on winter solstice

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by ~Zen~, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

This year there will be a special conjunction of two outer planets, on the date of the winter solstice...the shortest day of the year up north. The first day of winter is set for a party in the sky.

[​IMG]
    A simulation of Jupiter’s and Saturn’s positions on Monday night. (Stellarium-web.org)

The show will last only about two hours, right after sunset.

Look to the west-southwest as it gets dark to see the bright planets shining.

"If they appear merged to the naked eye, a telescope or binoculars will aid in telling them apart."

NASA offers tips for photographing the spectacle.

Sky and Telescope advises finding a location with an unobstructed view of the southwest sky.

"Saturn will appear just to the right of Jupiter. Jupiter will be considerably brighter and somewhat rusty in color, while Saturn, a good deal dimmer, will have a more yellow hue. The two planets have been inching closer to each other since September."

In astrological terms this is the last of three meetings that started with the appearance of the Coronavirus.

Perhaps this is the peak?!

Let's hope so, and that things taper off in the new year...

It's also got something to do with the downfall of Trump... his ego and plans for expanding his own powers (represented by Jupiter) have been stymied, squashed and belittled by the strength of Saturn... the ultimate teacher.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Zen, as an amateur astronomer (small-scale, 60mm refractor, 8" Schmitt-C) but mostly years ago, I keep wishing the news releases going out to the general public would not focus so much on the "exact moment" of the conjunction, and more on the explanation of how our solar system is set up.

98% of people have only the vaguest idea of the universe and real world. So the conjunction, to most people looking up at the evening sky for these last two weeks before and two weeks after, would be more impressive if it were explained to them in more general terms. If it's couched in technical terms, it goes right over their heads and is of little interest to them.

It'd be more educational (a personal interest for me) to the masses, if they could just look up for weeks and say, "Oh, so that's what that's about. Those are two planets. One behind the other. How 'bout that." WE must educate whenever we can.

--- P.

~Zen~ and mysticblu21 like this.
  3. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Oh, and as far as the astrological thing. From my readings and study 50 yrs ago (I no longer do such), I always felt any influences were more of, as with most thing in nature, more of a 'bell curve' shape, rather than some 'point'. As to an interpretation? If I remember, generally Jupiter is positive, Saturn, negative. So I would see this period as more "conflict" based. Which, again not in specifics, could certainly be seen in daily life lately.

My 2 cents worth. --- P.

4. ~Zen~

Thanks for your observations OldGuyNurse!

You are correct... these aspects build over time and have staying power...

And yes the conflict between buoyant positive Jupiter and stern taskmaster Saturn is obvious.

I am looking forward to the lessening of these influences during the next year... after all there are more stellar adventures ahead, as always.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  5. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Good post, both the picture and explanation. We saw the conjunction about an hour after sunset on Tuesday, Dec. 22. Neat sight and used a 7x binoculars to observe. I was struck by the difference in brightness, but shouldn’t have been since Saturn is significantly smaller and further away.

6. ~Zen~

IMG_20201222_183913.jpg

In this panorama from my roof you can see the bright double planets in the mid center... when I zoomed in I could see the two planets with two different colors each. I was surprised at the color.

hotwater, granite45 and mysticblu21 like this.
  7. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There are so few great celestial events that it’s important to bear witness to them.

I’ve been fortunate enough to witness Halley's Comet in 1986, Comet Shoemaker–Levy in 1994 which collided with Jupiter, Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997, The Great Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017, and on December 14th when the states certified the electoral college, there was a comet visible in the night skies, a meteor shower, and a total eclipse of the sun (visible in the southern hemisphere)

…..as well as a solar flare in the white house, which some trump aides have described as a type-1 supernova…lol…

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  9. ~Zen~

Well said! I love the part about the White House supernova!

hotwater likes this.