Concert update Vanilla Fudge

Discussion in 'Music' started by MeAgain, Apr 23, 2022.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here's my review of the latest concert we attended.

Vanilla Fudge and Kashmir.

Kashmir is the "top Led Zeppelin tribute band".
    All I have to say about them is who wants to see an Elvis impersonator and they need to turn down the mike on the bass drum.

Now, onto Vanilla Fudge.

For those who don't know Vanilla Fudge was formed in 1967 when Mark Stein and Tim Bogert heard Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals play his Hammond organ. They wanted to sound like the Rascals.
    In turn Deep Purple heard Vanilla Fudge and wanted to sound like them.
    More on the Rascals tomorrow as we're going to see them tonight and we managed to get back stage passes!

Unfortunately Vanilla Fudge played to a small crowd, probably filling half on an old movie theater built in 1939.
    The sound wasn't bad, not the best, but the musicianship was outstanding.
    I was particularly impressed with their versions of Curtis Mayfield's People Get Ready, Donovon's Season of the Witch, Junior Walker's Shotgun, and the Supreme's You Keep Me Hanging On.
    They finished with their version of a Led Zeppelin song, which blew away Kashmir.
    Led Zeppelin used to open for Vanilla Fudge.

I didn't realize how anti war they were dedicating a song to Ukraine, and giving several short speeches about world peace.

Three of the original four were there as the bassist, Tim Bogert, has moved on.
    Members have played in Cactus, and Jeff Beck, Bogert & Appice.

Excellent show!

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and wyldwynd like this.