Concept on Obama and Pot

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by dixie_pixy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy Refried Hippie

So for the past few months (even years) it's been discussed if Obama will legalize pot. (Big duh!)

One concept I recently thought about is maybe Obama will choose not to legalize/decriminalize because of the stigma with the black society and marijuana. As the nations leading African American, do you think that he will take marijuana legalization personally? Will it make him look like just another "pot smoking ******?"

While I hope for the best, this is a hypothesis I would like to expand upon. Any ideas or comments?

2. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

he has no reason to.

so he won't.

3. dixie_pixy

While he may not benefit from it personally, there are reasons (monetary) for him to legalize. At the very least by decriminalizing the use/possession we can clear out our jails and spend more time worrying about child abusers and actual criminals.

But that's not my point. I want to see what people think about society viewing him as a stereotype if he chooses to do so.

4. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Think of it this way, would legalizing weed help or hurt his chances at reelection?

5. dixie_pixy

Personally I would vote for him again if he did.

As for the rest of America. They more than likely wouldn't have a problem with it either. IMO

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If it was decriminilized or legalized during his term of office it wouldn't be his decision alone right?

7. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Correct, it would take an act of congress

8. dixie_pixy

But what about the stigma of being black?

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, that wouldn't be justified then but probably still be a fact, yes :D

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

If we dont grow cannabis for alternative fuel then we are not doing everything we can do for energy independence... And that my friends is a next big LIE..
    Dont buy Obama's we need to insulate homes. Bullshit 75% of the homes he may consider insulating would be better off torn down and rebuilt from scratch..

Do you really know how much natural gas is wasted on old home? Its going right out the windows..
    Secondly HEMP MAKES THE BEST INSULATION!!! SO Where the fuck if this insulation going to come from?? The Magic pink panther.. :toetap05: Lets get fucking real!! DO you know how much this cost?? No, Cause the average Joe the plumber dont know a fucking thing about insulation. Christ hes a plumber, not a construction worker..

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He won't legalize it.

He probably won't oppose decriminalization if it's proposed, but he won't be the one to start the initiative.

12. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

i don't think legalization/decriminalization of pot (which i support) is really the most pressing issue on obama's mind. it certainly isn't on mine. if someone were to present a compelling plan for the legalization of marijuana to save the economy and change the way monetary systems work, i would support it fully. but i highly doubt that legalization/decriminalization could revolutionize the financial system as it stands now. and that is the first and foremost issue that needs to be acted on.

and i think that a discussion about this based on race is BS, and shows a prejudice by the OP. yes, some people would view it negatively based on race. other people would view it negatively because they're prejudiced against drugs. there will always be people who have some prejudice or other. no use worrying about whether or not to take some action because of what SOME people MIGHT think. :rolleyes:

who gives a shit if someone's black or white. there are just as many negative stereotypes of white pot smokers are there are negative stereotypes about black pot smokers.

13. nesta

nesta Banned

he hasn't the authority or a politically viable reason to do so.

there isn't an economical incentive to do so. its true that if it were legalized and taxed that would generate a little additional tax income for the government, but this is a time of economic crisis wherein individuals are more concerned with the bottom line as it pertains to household income than with how much the government has at their disposal. considering the government is seriously in debt at the moment, and the fact that a couple million dollars in a cannabis tax wouldn't even approach fixing this problem, there is no major incentive to initiate legislation to legalize/tolerate and tax marijuana. rather, there is more political sense in seeking other means of income for the government. one example of an alternative means to taxation is simply incurring heavy fines and fees on people as a result of being caught in marijuana related legal infractions. further, in an economic crisis resulting in the loss of many, many jobs in every sector across the board in american life, they would be retaining more support by maintaining current jobs in law enforcement, corrections, and rehabilitation. legalizing, or even tolerating or decriminalizing, marijuana would necessitate the loss of many jobs in these fields, and these jobs would not be made up for by legitimizing cannabis cultivation and distribution (these people may not make their money legitimately in the eyes of the law, but they ARE already making money the way things stand. since the people currently working to curb marijuana use are currently legitimately employed, and many would lose jobs as a result of legalization, it makes better political sense to retain current jobs than to eliminate more)

it must further be taken into account that election time regularly sees various propositions at local and state levels allowing voters to decide if marijuana should be legalized, decriminalized, if medical marijuana should be legalized, if industrial hemp should be legalized, and if cannabis related crimes should become a region's law enforcement's lowest priority, and with a good deal of regularity they get voted down - ESPECIALLY when it comes to decriminalization, and almost universally in terms of legalization. while american attitudes towards cannabis is shifting farther and farther away from the negative, the american people (as evidenced through ballot issues regarding legalization) still seem to think that legalization and decriminalization are, in general, a bad idea. its not uncommon for these initiatives to fail by somewhere around 60% against, if i'm not mistaken, and often by more.

on the whole, americans at this point in history will most likely find more merit in maintaining the jobs of law enforcement and other fields which the state uses to counter marijuana use than in legalizing cannabis, for both political and economic reasons.

but yeah, apart from all the reasons why given the current situation the government shouldnt legalize cannabis (from the standpoint of political viability), the president is not a legislator and is in no position of authority in changing laws around as he sees fit. the past eight years aside, this has NEVER been the prerogative of the president.

i think that it should be legalized, and that it would be the right thing to do in the name of personal, individual liberties, but at this point in time people are going to side with the status quo, with possible exceptions for medical marijuana issues. they don't want to see more jobs lost, and the taxes brought in by legalization wouldn't do much that the current financial penalties for breaking laws don't already do.

even if the congress were to lift the ban on cannabis, i'm sure it would be readily challenged. the DEA is supposedly a part of the executive branch of government, but has gained certain rights and privaledges to call this into question. most remarkably, the power of "emergency scheduling," which allows the DEA to ban a drug rather than requiring it be the decision of the congress. this is the means by which MDMA, 2C-B, AMT, 5-MeO-DiPT, 2C-T-7, GHB, BZP and TFMPP have become illegal. while the controlled substances act was an act of congress, emergency scheduling of drugs has become the means by which drugs are most frequently outlawed in recent times. unless this power is revoked, there is good reason to believe that even if the congress where in favor of legalization, the DEA which strongly opposes it could potentially reschedule the drug as a sort of veto. this is all just speculation, but it may be a kind of a sticky situation at this point.

apart from the matter of the DEA, there is the fact that while the US in the past few years has not felt bound to obey international law, international law still applies in theory. there are international treaties and regulations regarding drug control which must still apply at least in the letter of the law, for now.

i think at this point in time, a much wiser approach would be to reschedule cannabis as a schedulle III drug, making it legally prescribable as a medication as well as making it far easier to legally research in human subjects. this would have the benefit of allowing states to legalize medical marijuana when they choose to do so without fear of the federal government attacking growers and legitimate distributors, as well as allow medical researchers to further the understanding of how cannabis affects the human body, including the brain. this will allow for the further necessary research to be done in human subjects to either conclusively determine that marijuana is either reasonably safe for adults to use to warrant legalization, or to back up hastily made prior claims that there is no recognized level of safety, even under medical supervision.

i think that from the standpoint of civil liberties, it should be legalized. i think its "unamerican" for it to be banned. but at the same time, you have to consider current political/economic realities, and what routes make the most sense towards potential legalization. right now, it makes the most sense to support medical marijuana issues and facilitate research into the area. it is not impossible to research a schedule I drug in human patients, but it is very difficult to get the clearance to do so. and since the evidence leading to marijuanas schedule I status was flimsy, research is the only thing which will lead to real reasons to support legalization, so i think first and foremost it must be downgraded to a lower, less restricting scheduling category.

14. dixie_pixy

^^ Nice Points... Long Tangent!

15. Dave_techie

Dave_techie I call Sheniangans

he is a friend of the unions

the unions are friends of organized crime

organized crime LIKE pot being prohibited

they make a lot of MONEY off of it

it will not be legalized.

16. broony

broony Banned

Obama wont make it legal. he has said this in several interviews. all on youtube if you want to see. he has said that for some people to ease there pain or specific cases people can smoke. to make legal to the public. it wont happen. they make too much money off the trouble people get into.

17. dixie_pixy

That's a big ladder. That's like me not smoking pot because my cousins best friend told me not to! I don't give a fuck about that person... it makes no since that Obama would WANT to support criminals!

18. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Member

unless Obama himself is a criminal???? :eek:

yes, thats right. I'm saying he should be in jail

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

yummy glue.. :D

20. nesta

nesta Banned

that wasn't a tangent. it was entirely relevant to the original post and on topic.