Compostable water??

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by MikeE, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Last weekend, the festival I was working provided bottled water for its bands. The packaging claims that the bottle is both recycleable and compostable. I find it hard to believe that any material is both. The company is out of Colorado. (I wish I remembered the name. "Biowater" or something like that.)

I suspect that the claim is green-washing marketing. But in case the bottle is compostable, should I worry about it composting while it is stored in my garage. If it rotted before being emptied, it would make a mess.

Has anyone dealt with this product?

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes. That's the name.

Corn plastic sounds similar to biodiesel, a renewable replacement for petroleum product on the supply side with minimal benefits on the waste side.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

well, if the waste ethanol really does well at NREL (I think I talked to the guy in 02) that will allow some fuel from crop watse, but that takes the cropwaste that is normally disked in as "food" for the soil out.
    we need to look at making our mountains of trash into something useful (and that will expire without too much material waste itself)