companion planting?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by hippyjeepgirl, May 20, 2007.

1. hippyjeepgirl

hippyjeepgirl Member

I am looking for suggestions of flowers to plant in my vegetable garden to help ward off insects, also ideas what vegetables are best planted close to one another, and which ones you should avoid.

2. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Marigolds are great among tomatoes and other vine plants. Fennel is great at the end of rows of beans peas etc. They attract hoverflies which eat blackfly which legumes are sensitive to. Garlic planted around the base of fruit trees will help to keep them healthy and virus free. Chamomile among onions helps to keep away neck rot. That's a few from memory and the regular ones that I use in my garden.

3. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

You do know about corn, squash & pole beans; the three sisters, right?

Other than those I know:

* Broccoli & Cauliflower grow well with your mints.
    * Carrots work well with tomatoes, lettuce & onions... but keep any dill far away from it.
    * Chives - my mom plants it with garlic at the base of her fruit trees for pest control.
    * Nasturtiums are my mom's favorite garden-flower. I forget the list, but she says it deters just about everything!
    * Potatoes work well with marigolds.
    * Strawberries grow well with spinach
    * and Tomatoes like basil, onions, peppers... basically ALL all of your "salsa" veggies!
    love,
    mom

5. tree

tree Member

Here is one of my favorite companion planting lists. i keep this page bookmarked.
    http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

i second the nastertium suggestion! They are my favorite flower, besides just keeping away pests the leaves and flowers are beautiful and edible!

scented marigolds are also good with just about everything.

6. johnnystillcantread

johnnystillcantread Member

Well you shouldn’t plant tomatoes and potatoes close together or in the same bed that one or the other was growing in the year before. Cheers!