Communes to easily join?

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by livingisland, Apr 19, 2007.

1. livingisland

livingisland Member

I'm looking for a commune to work/live in around California and Oregon. I just want to drive to one and live there for few months. Does anyone know if or where this is possible?

2. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

3. livingisland

livingisland Member

I checked there and a lot of them cost over the small amount of money I have. I would like a simple place where I can drive to, and simply work/eat/live for some time. So far no luck, but anything would be great.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

your best bet at this point would be to try and find a place that does work/ stay or interning or something along those lines,,,otherwise you are looking at fairly big $ to go and spend the amount of time you say you are interested in....you may also want to look into something for caretaking.. if that is you kind of thing...i would say chances of finding what you seem to be looking for is gonna have to be done offline and through alot of searchin.... luv n lite

5. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

6. livingisland

livingisland Member

I agree, most of the places I've been looking at (almost all in Oregon/New Mexico) charge a lot of money and aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

7. LdyNimue

LdyNimue Member

I have found that also to be true in my search. But hey still looking :)

8. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hey yall:

You might want to chect out Echowood, a new community in central Texas . . .

The website is www.echowood.org

9. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

hey
    good to see y'all are making a go of it
    to those who have not checked out his link - ...if you are thinking of community - it does you good to look at those starts succeeding....
    Any additional feedback you can give us GH - don't be a stranger

Blessings

Namaste

10. Phrensied Rabbits

Phrensied Rabbits Member

I think this line on page two might be a typo~
    "There are no time clocks or strict regimes."

Best of luck with that, though.
    I'd love to come and check it out,
    but my possibilities for crazy adventures
    have been curbed for the next year or so.

11. A.B.E.

A.B.E. Member

You could check out Alpha Farm, in Oregon. It is the kind of place, or used to be, where you can just come and stay, and they have the infrastructure to feed and employ members or visitors. They have communal meals, cooked by the community members on alternate days and nights. They have a restaurant in town, and handle the mail service to the neighborhood. I visited and stayed there for two weeks maybe 8-9 years ago. Check out Communities Directories, and maybe they have a web site. Check it out, I think it would work for you.

12. Dragonwolfwizard

Dragonwolfwizard Member

Hey everyone

Alpha Farm about 2 hrs outside Eugene is a free place to go. It is a rustic farm about an hour from the Oregon coast. I visited there in Jan/Feb '07. It is small, has a nice sized garden, orchard, is with about 10 people all ranging from 21-45 although Carolin Estes and her husband started it and they are in their 70's. Up the road from them is another community, just check them out at ic.org.

Now New Mexico is different, Lama Foundation will let you come if you tell them you want to barter for your R&B, it is at 8600 feet elevation, is Sufi, they meditate daily, do practice of all spiritualities,make prayer flags and eat vegetarian. The cost is $2500, again, can be worked out in deferment if you just communicate with them. Sun Toads in SE NM is in need of folks too. I just do not know much about them.

www.organicvolunteers.org is another place to find places, as well.

www.idealist.org may help too.

Namaste and good luck

DragonWolf Wizard