coming out to my dad...

Discussion in 'Coming Out and Confused!' started by ~alexiel~, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ~alexiel~

~alexiel~ Member

my mom knows. my Nana (grandmother, mom's side. father's parents deceased.) knows. my two cool aunts know.

my older sister knows. my younger sister knows. my whole school knows... because friends turn sour from time to time.. and ruin the somewhat harmonious existence of peers...

but to save my soul i cannot think of a way to tell my father.. and i will nevertell my Papaw (grandfather, mom's side.).. it would break his heart, he's a very conservative baptist and.. well, let's just say that he set the guidelines for his kids rather strictly...

i'm just not sure how my dad would react. he kinda has anger issues... not so much now that he's a recovered alcoholic, but... still, and i'd be scared he'd get mad. generally, he's a really cool liberal sorta guy, but... when it knocks upon his door directly, i'm not sure how he'd deal with the guest... know what i mean?

2. iscreamchocolate

iscreamchocolate Senior Member

I would say that you should tell him soon... because it's better he finds out from you then accedently finding out from someone else.. Then he would be even more pissed off and upset. He would be upset that you told everyone else that you were gay or bi and not him... So I suggest telling him soon. Just to get it all over with. The longer you wait the harder it's going to get. and who knows he might be ok with it all... sometimes parents suprise you.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

He probebly knows or suspects because all of the rest of your family knows. There must have been clues. I don't think that you will completely suprise him by telling him.

4. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I generally do not fear my father; but, that doesn't mean I don't have a reason to do so... He can become very violent, very quickly; I gave him information on what I was going to come out about before I did it. He still thinks that it is something I made up in my head, but, at least he knows and lets me live like I want to. If I can come out about being transgendered, you can come out about your sexual orientation; just be confident and don't leave any doubt.

As for how you come out to him, I am not sure; I never came out to my parents about my sexual orientation. They came to me about it...

5. ~alexiel~

~alexiel~ Member

i doubt it.... my parents are divorced, and he lives in a completely different city than everyone else except my older sister, Amy.

6. kif

kif Member

I was worried what my dad would think when I came out. He really didnt care either way. I didnt change and he saw that. He realised that I'am happy with who I'am and that I have always been this way. I hope your father is as cool about it as mine is.

7. Lights

Lights Member

Hey, lancey.

Yeah, I still havn't told my father. I'm not afraid or anything, I just don't want to waste telling him. I only get one chance to shock him, and I don't want to fuck it up. I'm thinking kissing another guy really hard in a public place and then saying, "Oh yeah, dad, I'm gay". I can tell a stranger without any problem, but I only get one chance to tell someone who's known me my whole life and do it right.

8. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I know; I don't really like the name Lancey, haha. You told me that a while ago; still sounds like a plan. :)

9. Jes

Jes Member

yea, couldn’t agree more. He might be sad cuz told everyone else but not him
    I know I would be...

10. iscreamchocolate

yes and I agree with you Jes for agreeing with me.. :D yea I would be a little upset

11. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

12. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

13. iscreamchocolate

I like your jeans...

14. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I would suggest telling your mother that you plan to come out to your father. See what she says. You might ask her if he knows.

15. sonador_hermosa

sonador_hermosa Member

i don't think dad would care. he has dozens of gay friends. he might at the most feel awkward knowing, but you know dad wouldn't yell at you for liking girls...if anything, i think he'd be relieved ;) i don't think you should worry about it. did you know that our very own aunt angie is bisexual? she isn't exactly out to the whole family, but she dated a chick for awhile when she was a teenager...so i don't think he cares. i think if you are happy, he's happy, in my opinion :)

16. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Could you not write in such small text?

17. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I would have to agree with Green.

Posts are easier to read in larger type. They are even more difficult to read in color combinations such as turquoise print on a lilac background.

I found this post painful to read.

18. Lights

Lights Member

What would you prefer I call you? I don't remember your PM name, wasn't it lancey?