Cold Symptoms

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, Aug 20, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Are the worst. I don't care if I'm tired of many of other things but when I wake up and my whole head is congested... sore throat... stuffy and runny nose... watery eyes... headache...sinus pressure...
    I turn into a little baby.
    Not dealin with this shit much longer today.
    :crybaby:
    Eh, the point is... that I never get colds because I have a very good immune system so just not used to my whole head feeling like this.
    Any natural remedies people know of for congestion? Like drinking salt water or something else lol?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Zinc and vitamin C

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

1,000IU of vitamin D per kg of body weight will clear it up in no time (it's to be done as a one time dose). That is basically the only effective way of nipping a cold in the bud. I also find that a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ears works well on the first signs of a cold.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks... I don't have vitamin D I don't think (other than what's in the multi) but gotta run to store later and will look for it. Gah just getting worse and worse and I was fine yesterday. I think Cason's sick too... he's all hot and not eating well at all. Got him to take a nap so hopefully he won't be too sick. I can handle being sick myself (kinda, lol) but can't stand Case being sick... that said, anyone think it's odd that Case is over 2.5 yrs old and he's only had one cold and no other sicknesses so far? I mean it's a good thing but I fear when he goes to pre school and is around all those germs..

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I buy more Pseudoephedrine than meth makers.. Actually not good, because 3members of my family buy , and they track that shit.. Hope they do run with it, kick my door in looking for a meth lab. .I could use the lawsuit money.. :D

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

That's right... the good cold meds are behind the counter now, huh? I need to get some meds today too. Cason's napping and I'm just sitting here and even THAT is torturous. Having to actually DO something in an hour...bleh.

7. Pressed_Rat

Which ones are behind the counter?

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

In PA... damn near everything.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

I use to psudo for my ears and sinus. this year its been really bad.

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Since it's the summer, you're more likely to have allergies than a cold. You might want to try taking some loratadine 10mg (aka, generic claritin). It's available over the counter for about $2 for 10 pills. Each pill lasts 24 hours.

I used to get colds all of the time, but eating everything at least lightly cooked and served warm improved my immunity.

I don't believe in mega-dosing on vitamins unless it's recommended by a doctor. 400 IU per day on a regular basis might be ok. My opinion and experience is that vitamins shift your body's balance in one way or another. That can be good if you have a deficiency of one kind or another, but it can also cause problems. D tends to give me more energy, but seems to also cause insomnia.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

raw garlic and spicy foods

I make a killer chicken noodle soup that I guarantee will wipe out a cold in 3 days or less. I put about 5 cloves of garlic in it and dump a shitload of black pepper into it.

You can also try a cup of water with lemon juice and cayenne pepper...just heat it up in the microwave for a minute.

also go to your health food store and get a tea specifically designed for colds....they won't make it go away any faster but they really help with the symptoms. I think the active ingredients in teas like this are echinaccea (that is spelled so wrong spell check can't even figure it out) licorice, and pepper.

I agree with e7m8 about the vitamin supplements, but definitely eat foods that are rich in vitamin C

in case it is allergies, a great natural remedy is local honey.

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks for the advice, e7m8 and meli....
    Yea, I know allergies are more likely this time of year but I just don't think I'd go to bed with NO allergies and wake up with so much mucus (that isn't clear btw, so could be an infection?) that I have to blow my nose every 5-10 mins. Yuck. Bleh. :(

Oh and to meli... yea, I love making chicken soups like that... let's see, I actually DO have a whole chicken (in the freezer though) that I could use to make the broth and I have about a half clove of garlic left ...and I have black and cayenne peppers and really good hot sauce... but yea, tomorrow I have to go grocery shopping so maybe I will buy more garlic and onions and other veggies to make a really good soup...

:)

13. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I've thought that I've had a cold before, and it turns out to be allergies. If you take one pill and it helps a lot, then you can be pretty sure it's allergies.

If you feel ok when you go to bed, and are sick in the morning, that sounds like more of an indication that it's allergies and not a cold. Your tendancy to have allergic reactions can change depending on the time of day.

In any case, hope that you get better soon, and Cason too.

14. Pressed_Rat

400IU of vitamin D isn't nearly a sufficient amount. The multivitamins I take have 5,000IU per serving, which is completely safe. Even as much as 10,000IU per day is safe, since your body produces that much from just 30 minutes in the sun. However, it is important to supplement with the natural form, which is D3.

15. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

thanks again. :)
    (oh and yea, btw, I don't know if Cason really is sick or not... he was acting fine later... so, maybe (hopefully!) it was just me worried that he was not feeling well and reading into him just not being hungry too much..shall see though!)...
    and yea that's true about the morning and night... I may actually have some Claritin in the medicine cabinet. not sure.... i'll check and if I have some take one and see.
    cause now that I think about it (im not saying this isn't a cold but... what i'm trying to say here is, I remember years ago I went to the doctor thinking I had had a terrible cold that turned into a sinus infection... it was really bad- the symptoms and turns out... it was allergies. I remember being kinda shocked because I did not think or know that allergies could really be that bad. Always thought they were pretty minor but I guess they can be pretty bad..

16. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Well, I found some generic zyrtec (allergy med.) and took one of them as a test...
    also found 3 zinc lozengers so will have one of them in a min. :)

17. Pressed_Rat

Unless it's recommended by a doctor? Most doctors are arrogant and quick to shun vitamins, since all the big medical journals, many of which receive funding from the drug companies, poo poo vitamins. Many doctors only believe in the big pharma route of treating illness, and know very little about proper nutrition. This is why I don't have much respect for doctors. Most of them know very little about preventative health. They only know how to treat (not the same thing as CURE) with toxic pharmaceutical drugs. But I don't think anyone in this thread advocated mega-dosing with vitamins. My suggestion is a one-time dose to stop a cold in its tracks. So yeah, you could say it is a one-time mega-dose, but it is completely safe. In order build up toxic levels of vitamin D, you would have to take ungodly amounts over a long period of time. 5,000-10,000 units of vitamin D per day is absolutely safe, as long as it is the natural form of vitamin D, which is D3 (Cholecalciferol). That is actually the amount everyone should be taking. The 400IU found in many multivitamins, which half the time is the synthetic form (Ergocalciferol), is useless, and if it isn't the natural form of D, it could actually be doing more harm than good.

18. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

go pick some ephedrine up. clears everything up

19. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Hard to remember when you have one but a cold also builds your immune system, against that strain.

If you have symptoms it is really too late to do more than stay comfortable. Three week rule, a week coming, a week on and a week going.

Buy Kleenex. :)

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Just wanted to update... that last night I took 50,000 IU's of D3.
    By the time I went to bed a few hours later my cough was half of what it was and I felt a whole lot better...
    then I woke up today thinking "Is my cold gone?" ... "hmmm, my cold is gone" "wow, it's gone"
    I do notice now I have a tiny cough still so I'd say I have about 10% of my cold left but 90% ...totally gone. :D
    I'm shocked it worked.