Cold fusion - another conspiracy by corrupt global government or just a load of crap?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Zanman, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Zanman

Zanman Member

I pulled this off the web …

“On March 23, 1989, Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann announced their discovery of "cold fusion." It was the most heavily hyped science story of the decade, but the awed excitement quickly evaporated amid accusations of fraud and incompetence. When it was over, Pons and Fleischmann were humiliated by the scientific establishment; their reputations ruined, they fled from their laboratory and dropped out of sight. "Cold fusion" and "hoax" became synonymous in most people's minds, and today, everyone knows that the idea has been discredited.

Or has it? In fact, despite the scandal, laboratories in at least eight countries are still spending millions on cold fusion research. During the past nine years this work has yielded a huge body of evidence, while remaining virtually unknown - because most academic journals adamantly refuse to publish papers on it. At most, the story of cold fusion represents a colossal conspiracy of denial. At least, it is one of the strangest untold stories in 20th-century science.”

I am not into the physics involved but I do suggest this … if cold fusion were possible it would instantly revolutionize the energy industry around the world, immediately destroying huge wealth-structures based on conventional fuels and causing global political devastation. Tens of millions of jobs would be displaced as conventionally based fossil fuels were no longer needed.

So what is the deal do you think? Reckon there’s another potential conspiracy covering up infinite cheap energy for everyone or is cold-fusion just another philosopher’s stone?

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Neither. The guys who claimed they invented cold fusion really WERE mistaken, and there's no global conspiracy to cover it up...but I hesitate to say that it's impossible. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the laws of physics that fundamentally prevents cold fusion. But I'd say that it's at least several decades away.

Perhaps some day it will revolutionize the energy industry. But there will be at least a couple other energy paradigms before we even have to consider cold fusion: solar energy is up and coming, and "hot" fusion will follow shortly thereafter.

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

4. fat_tony

fat_tony Member

regular fusion is hard enough. The trouble with fusion is forcing two protons together. The kinetic energy of two protons at 20 million degrees C is not enough to force them together with out help from quantum tunnelling. Eddy currents in the plasma cause it to slow down and loose energy. For cold fusion you just need to find a way to persuade two protons together at low temperatures, no way has been found but there is reason as to why a way could not be found. But its a long way off.

5. goldmund

goldmund Member

I remember hearing about that as a freshman in high school. My teacher first told me it was false, then that the reaction was not sustainable. Good info for a novice fat_tony! thanks