Coconut milk?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Spacer, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Following on from the milk thread, with reagrds to substitues, does anyone know if you can buy cocnut milk in the shops?

2. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

It is usually sold in cans and can be found easily in asian foods stores. I think that most of the bigger supermarket chains would have it too.

3. yeah, here you can buy the nilk or cream canned or there is this weird as stuff which you add water to, kind of a milk powder thing.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

[​IMG]

i bought some coconut milk today, and when i opened it, it had a really thick gooey fatty portion (about 2/3's of the can) that had separated to the top from a clear liquid. when i mixed it all together it was still way too thick to drink like milk, so i watered it down. it's reallly yummy!

i havent bought coconut milk for a LONG time, but i remember it being more liquidy before. maybe i just bought the wrong kind?

we get rooster brand here. gold label or red label. i guess the red label was the thinner kind.

5. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

I must have a look out for it! I reckon it'd be great on muesli. :)

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

mmhmm! soaked overnight, yumm! a little cinnamon...

7. MountainMan

MountainMan Member

coconut milk is great but man is it fatty. i buy the light coconut milk when its in the stores, and when alls said and done and the dish is done, you cant really taste a difference

8. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

ooh i love coconut milk :D i've gotten it in bashas in the asian food department :)