cobra position... afterwards

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by gertie, Jan 5, 2005.

1. gertie

gertie Senior Member

it was fine was i was going through my series, but after i came out of cobra pose my back was achy to go back into regular seated or anything else where my back wasn't bent backwards. this has never happened before. it was like my back was tight or something.

2. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

when in cobra and most other backbends for that matter always remember to:

A) "tuck" your tailbone as much as possible (send pubic bone towards navel)
    B) Activate your glutes (butt muscles)
    B) Squeeze your inner thighs together like there is no tomarrow.

That will support your back so your LIFTing up out of a grounded foundation, rather then compressing and crunching your back down.

3. gertie

gertie Senior Member

thank you.

it just happened that one time. i wondered if perhaps i wasn't stretched out beforehand enough or maybe it was added to a day that my back just didnt want to to get a long with me. i'm trying to ease myself back into regular series after an unintenttional break.

4. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

is your back ok now?

also after backbends, remember to do easy forward bends. Let gravity do the work for you while you focus on your breath. gravity will take your body where it wants to go.

hope that helps! =)

5. gertie

gertie Senior Member

yes, my back was fine afterwards too. it seemed fine coming out of it too, it was when i was going into downward dog that i experienced like a tightness. thanks. :)

6. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

Whenever you really do deep backbends, it does bring about a slight achyness feeling afterwards. I think this is normal. I have been experiencing it lately as well as I have been putting lots of focus on my backbends lately.

As long as the discomfort is not long lasting I would not worry.