Cloth Diapers...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sweetdreadlover, Jan 20, 2009.

1. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

so i can find MILLIONS of cloth diapers but no covers????? do u mamas have any insight because im WAY lost......

2. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are several places on line that sell covers online, are you just looking for something basic. A lot of people seem to like Bummis covers. I've heard great things about the diapers and covers from here:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/covers.htm

I use pocket diapers on my LOs, my favorites are Fuzzi Bunz. They are more expensive but still much cheaper than disposables. I am excited because Fuzzi Bunz just came out with a one size diaper!! That is what I plan on using on my new baby.

Other places I've ordered from are Abbyslane.com, Nickisdiapers.com, Fuzzibunzstore.com, and clothdiaperoutlet.com. Have fun shopping, I love cloth diapering and would never go back to paper dipes.

3. hiro

hiro pursue it

I know babiesrus sell some kind of a kit with the cloth diapers and covers...

4. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

not necessarily a fan of anything you can get at babys'r'us or your local wal-mart.

I always go online to a WAHM store for my diaper covers. I much prefer wool soakers in various sizes and designs. Mostly longies. Have to be handwashed, but:

- Wool is anti-microbial. You wash and lanolise it once every 4-6-weeks depending on use, and no matter how much pee it soaks in, it doesn't stink!

-Wool can absorb up to a 1/3 its weight in water before it feels wet

-It's breathable and because it is animal fiber, it holds heat without overheating. If it's a hot summer day, it's still a good temp without being too hot for baby.

They are more expensive. But you would only need two or three in every size, they last a good long time, and they are soooo cute!

5. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I LOVED the wool soaker my MIL made for us! It was so nice & lightweight. But... my daughter broke out in a rash every time she wore it. (sigh) So we stuck with fleece covers, and only REALLY used those at night or when we were out somewhere. I found mine at a site for WAHMs, but they've closed their doors. I'd try etsy though since there are tons of WAHMs there as well now!

During the day at home we skipped the covers. DD's bum was SUPER sensitive & would rash-out no matter what we did, and this helped her. Actually, MOST mamas I know only have a few covers since they don't need changing every time & unless you've got a puddle for a kid they're not necessary 24/7.
    love,
    mom

6. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Those plastic covers from cheap places are, well,...cheap. They can lead to diaper rashes and all kinds of problems. My daughter uses wool on her little one. Some cloth diapers have a backing made out of PUL on them. You don't have to use any cover with these al-in-one diapers. But I always found them to take forever to dry. EIther get diapers that you can put inserts in or use wool soakers. THey are the best. You can find them on Etsy.com and on HyenaCart.com. Both are great places to shop.

When you first look at buying cloth diapers the sticker shock can really hit you hard. But when you add up how many disposables you would buy over the coarse of two to three years of diaper wearing, it doesn't look so bad.

One more thing to remember is to use very little laundry soap in your diapers and no fabric softener. The soap will build up and smell after a while. Fabric softener keeps the diapers from absorbing well. Most new diapers need to be washed four or five times before they will absorb well.

Kathi

7. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

I just tied a bucket around my kids waists. Seriously though, we always just got our covers from futureworlddomination-mart, or wal-mart as it is more commonly known. Here where I live it is all I could find. The midwest is so close-minded you can't find any clothe diapers or products. I am way too poor to buy half of the good stuff online. Not to mention I pay for everything with cash, which makes online shopping a pain in the....

8. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

Oh, and for the record, I am against wal-mart, so I haven't decided how to put cloth on munchkin 3 yet, still got a few months. My wife was looking on craigslist at some people with used cloth diapers and covers and ect., but as I explained to her, I wouldn't go down to the local goodwill and buy used underwear for myself. Why would I buy used underwear, that I know have been crapped in, for my child?

9. Earth mama

Earth mama Member

I use a lot of motherease wraps which are really relyable. I also have some wool, but recently i have been using pocket nappys where the wrap is built in and you stuff the nappy with a prefold or terry nappy they are great!! xx

10. daisymae

daisymae I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy

Has anyone tried fleece covers? I have been wondering how well they work.

11. HippyFreek

I found that fleece had a slight wicking effect, and held a smell. I couldn't really strip them well enough to make that go away.

Seriously, wool is the way to go, I think. :)

12. sweetdreadlover

my mom said she was going to make me some fleece covers...i guess we'll see how that goes

13. daisymae

daisymae I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy

My skin can't tell the difference between wool and a cheese grater, so I could not chance it on my babies...but I am intrigued.

14. sweetdreadlover

im not big on wool personally. i prefer fleece or a more breathable fabric.
    BUT i have heard amazing stories about the wool soakers.

15. jgirl

jgirl Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

wool is supposed to be ideal as a diaper cover. It is supposed to keep the baby cool in summer and warm in winter. Being allergic to wool is actually VERY rare, it is usually the chemicals that is used in commercial clothes and products that causes the itch. So untreated pure wool used for soakers should not irritate the babies skin. I would love to try wool myself, but all the soakers i have found are so freakin' expensive. I'm ordering some prefolds for the new baby and if I can get some money, I'll order a soaker too. If not, he/she will use PUL covers, probably Bummis.

16. HippyFreek

Find a momma that knows how to knit and ask her to knit them for you, maybe for just a few extra balls of yarn or a pair of addi turbos. :) Knitpicks has some 1.99 highland wool. I knit soakers all the time just to get mommas some cheap soakers!