Classical Guitars

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Lucifer Sam, May 28, 2006.

1. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

So I'm thinking about getting a classical guitar. I only have one guitar on me, and I want another one handy so I can keep it in an alternate tuning like Open D or Open C, so I don't have to keep changing the tuning on one guitar. I was planning on just buying another steel string acoustic, but I found this 1950's classical guitar at a local shop, and I'm thinking about getting that instead.

I know nothing at all about classical guitars, though. Is there anything I should really know about them before I decide to buy one? I mean, you really play it the same way as a steel string, right? I know that classical guitars are really made for picking (and that's mostly what I'd be doing with it), but you CAN strum around on it, too, right?

I'm not looking to learn proper classical guitar technique, so that's what worries me, I guess. I'd just be playing steel string type music on a classical... and I'm wondering if that would even sound any good. Also, are there any issues with putting classical guitars in alternate tunings? I wouldn't think so, but I want to be sure before I go spending any money.

So yeah, I obviously don't know anything about these things, so all help is appreciated! :p

2. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

In answer to your playing questions, yes you play it the same, yes you can strum, no there are no issues with alternate tuning.

Will steel-string music sound good on it? Probably not. You play it with steel strings for a reason, and nylon strings sound a lot different. Play around with it and see if you like the sound.

3. Have you seen that infomercial with that guy Esteban?That guy is amazing.You can order his guitar package.It comes with an amp,instrucional video(teaches how to play classical and some songs) and some other stuff like strings etc....My dad and brother both have one of these guitars,they look and sound great.He probably has a website where you order from too.Good price to!

4. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

nooo, don't get the esteban crap, that guy is a joke. some of the music you play on a steel string will sound good, some probably not. you can strum, but you're not going to be able to beat the hell out of it or anything. you could learn some classical songs without learning all of the proper technique and such if you wanted too. i like to play some jazz licks on my friend's classical, sounds great.

5. Lucifer Sam

Heh, I actually ended up getting another steel string acoustic. :p I wouldn't mind getting the classical, too, but I just don't need ANOTHER guitar that I won't play.

Thanks for weighing in, everyone.

6. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Cool, what brand did you buy?

7. Lucifer Sam

I bought a vintage Yamaha FG-110 to go with my FG-180 (same guitar Elliott Smith used). I love vintage Yamaha's. They're really inexpensive, they're loud as hell (a GOOD loud, though, not a crappy overly-bassy loud), they have a nicely balanced sound, the aged wood sounds fantastic, and they're virtually indestructable. I'll take my Yamaha FG-180 over my Gibson J-200.

Just check the reviews on Harmony-Central for the 110 (a solid overall rating of 9.8/10):
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Yamaha/FG_110-1.html

8. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

looks nice, man. have fun with her.

9. Dude!What the hell are you talking about?Those guitars sound great!And why the hell would you want to beat the crap out of a classical guitar?!Their not meant for that.
    Calling it crap?Tell that to my dad & brother!They play theirs all freakin' day!Especially my bro cause he works the night shift,so he throws in like 6 hours a day on his classical & electric guitars.
    My dads been playing since he was like 6 or 7 years old,he's freakin' amazing man,he knows whats crap and whats good.

And Esteban is no joke...The guy is fucking great!

10. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

hahahahahahaha

esteban

hahahahahahaha

And just becuase you think classicals are not meant to be beaten up, doesnt mean shit. I beat mine up all the time when Im bored, and when I feel mellow and creative I play it nice and soft. I pounded about 10 years of age into that thing within the past 6 months since I bought it.

11. I just bought a guitar off of ebay and it's CRAP! I guess I got what I paid for.

So now, i'm trying to find something else... i'm supposed to start lessons this Saturday and have no playable guitar!

12. Lucifer Sam

What kind of guitar is it?

13. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Probably a used Estaban

14. It's so cheap I don't even think it has a brand! LOL

I'm going to a reputable music shop over my lunch hour to look at a used Fender. I've always wanted a Fender.

The piece o' crap I bought on ebay is going to get smashed on my driveway!

15. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

hahahaha

16. Alright I just went and bought my dream guitar!!!

After the ebay nightmare I decided I needed to go to a real guitar store.

I bought a gently used, black, Fender acoustic/electric.

OMG it's gorgeous. This is the guitar i've wanted since I wanted to start playing a few years ago. I can't believe I found it and for only $100. It's in remarkable condition and sounds great. I'm a very happy hippie!!:D

17. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Did you smash up the other one?

18. Not yet, have to wait until I get home! :X

19. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

I didn't say classicals were meant to beat the hell out of them...I was just kidna warning him that you can't do the same stuff as a steel string sometimes...and Esteban can play...but those guitars are pieces of fucking shit...any musician with brains will tell you so.

20. Me,my brother & dad all play we know our shit man,we have brains.And have you ever even played one of Estebans guitars?What kind of music do you play?

And "Relayer" ...When I said "beat up" I meant like,not taking care of it,to the point where it has battle scars/dents and what not.I didn't say you can't play em' hard/fast if thats what you were thinking.