Classic Psychedelics: Most Likely To Cause Bad Trip To Least Likely

Discussion in 'Drug Polls' started by powerquest, Nov 29, 2014.

1. powerquest

powerquest Member

Out of LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline, which one do you feel is the most friendly/easiest to handle at an average dose? What is the most likely to cause bad trips?

Explain if you like. Thanks!!!

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Set and setting usually account for most "bad trips"

1 person likes this.
  3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Any psychedelic can cause a bad trip if you go into with apprehension or are not in the right mindset. Even mildly psychedelic drugs like weed can do that.

I would say mushrooms are the best starting point for a person new to psychedelics.

1 person likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I agree with Tyrsonswood however if I had to choose, I'd say mescaline has the most amiable character.

3 people like this.
  5. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

i've never had a bad trip, personally, but psilocybin would probably be most likely to contribute to a bad trip, while mescaline would be least likely, with LSD being somewhere in between. As a general rule, tryptamines mess with the mind more and are more "spiritual", while mescaline and other phenethylamines tend to produce a more visual and physical trip(with a few exceptions, as some phenethylamines, such as high doses, and even moderate doses, of 2c-t-7 and high doses of 2c-E; both of which can be VERY psychological and can lead to some deep, dark places, as well as a high level of confusion, in some cases). Of course, the likelihood of a bad trip, regardless of substance, depends largely on the individual involved.

Still, having said all of that, set and setting are much more important than the particular psychedelic. If you're in a good, or even neutral, mindset and in a comfortable place with people you trust, you should be perfectly fine. Just remember to start low.

6. TopNotchStoner

I agree completely with the first two sentences, but not necessarily with the sentence about shrooms. I'd say that depends on the person.

1 person likes this.
  7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I agree with GB that mescaline can be the gentlest and most "forgiving", but having said that, any psychedelic substance has the potential; for a "bad trip", it depends on various factors already mentioned.
    personally I have had my most difficult experiences with mushrooms, but in hindsight they were also the most conducive to personal growth and revelation.

1 person likes this.
  8. TopNotchStoner

Indeed. Many believe, and I agree, that some "bad trips" can be more beneficial than "good trips". In this sense, there is no such thing as a "bad" trip, unless you harm yourself or someone else, of course.

1 person likes this.
  9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Mushrooms can certainly lead to unpleasant experiences (I don't like the term 'bad trip'). But if it's your destiny to get a kicking,from a psychedelic, at least the duration is likely to be shorter than with acid.

It's a very long time since I had a negative experience on any psychedelic,but I've had them on both. Never tried mescaline, so can't comment on that.

One of the most chaotic experiences I ever had was doing both acid and mushrooms together. Like a psychedelic brain war or something. The only thing I learned from it was never to do the 2 together again.

As mentioned above - set & setting are absolutely key to having a good exp.

It has been suggested that if you did get on a bummer on acid, you could escape it by doing about 100mg of MDMA as a way out. Maybe though you'd be better off just dealing with it.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

11. questionexist-ing

questionexist-ing Banned

This thread was actually very useful as I was thinking of trying shrooms soon...however now I'm second guessing that aha

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You should try them, If you are open minded and have a calm enviornment to trip, it's an amazing experience!

13. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i think LSD is easier to handle personally. never had mescaline tho yet.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've probably had the roughest trips on LSD of those 3.

I find LSD at times to have an unyielding, abrasive edge on my mind that can be quite unrelenting for most of the trip, which happens to be substantially longer than shrooms. Shrooms I can kind of sink into the experience and it's generally more sedate and Mescaline has a whimsical quality about it, where I can refocus my thoughts more easily than either of them.

15. questionexist-ing

questionexist-ing Banned

But what in your preference would be better to come first: shrooms or acid?

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I did shrooms first and a fairly strong dose unbeknowst to myself at the time. It was overwhelming in that I didn't want to move around much and got nauseous at the onset but I really enjoyed it overall. I like the natural vibe of shrooms and have had some of the most genuine drug induced laughter of any trip.

Although I've had some of my roughest trips on LSD, I've had some of my most profound trips on LSD as well.

Shrooms tend to feel like a drug is affecting my consciousness, I can kind of keep the drug's affects at bay, although the sensations can be very strange. LSD feels like other parts of my mind opens up, it feels like it soaks into my consciousness more thoroughly so its more difficult for me to discern consensus reality with the trip.

17. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

set, setting, and dosage will be the determinant of a good or bad experience.

18. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

In that case, I'd eat more mushrooms :D

Mushrooms tend to take me on a journey, I feel I have much more control under the influence of LSD, once reality re-crystallises into a more navigable substance at any rate.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've eaten up to 5 grams of shrooms and regularly dose an 1/8. I could go on the roundabout upping the doses of both substances.

To see the angle I'm coming from, Impairment doesn't necessarily equate to intensity. To give a crude analogy of Shrooms to LSD, I find alcohol more impairing than Crystal Meth but I found Meth more intense.

Now obviously the psychedelic effects have a range of mind manifesting qualities which separate it from the drugs in my analogy where the set and setting coming in but just using that as an example.

20. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Hectic, I knew you were a connoisseur though I wasn't expecting meth to be in there. How was that? Interested in an intelligent description.. not to derail the thread.

Point taken though.