Class #4) Be A Creator, Not Just A Consumer

Discussion in 'Independent Living' started by Libertine, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Now, we all have to consume certain things, but we don't have to consume junk. No junk food, no junk propaganda, nothing that we can't reduce or completely eliminate.

This is just a simple lesson. REDUCE YOUR DESIRE FOR JUNK. Stop consuming so much stuff, tv, etc. and start to find your talents and be creative. Now, I know most people will say, "But, I would starve to death if I just relied on my art or craft." And that may be so (or may not be so), but using your talents to further your income and your happiness will help you to become a CREATOR instead of merely a consumer.

Hone in on your talent. Are you a painter? Photographer? Musician? Writer? Craftsmen? Chef? Bartender? What is your talent and what do you enjoy doing. Find areas where you can use them.

REMEMBER: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE FOR MONEY. You can trade services or barter. There are many events where people trade art or services. There are time banks and art conventions/festivals. Some of these cost a little, but are well worth it to build community, showcase your talents and add a little happiness to your new life.

CREATE!

2. I love this, I have imagined before what would it be like if we had to make everything and not be able to buy anything? For example, instead of buying a calendar for next year, we could make one. Use any creative art, like drawing, painting, rubber stamping, stickers, collage, embroidery, anything decorative. If we paused to think of making something before going out and buying it, I think it would be fun and give us a different experience, and may make us think twice about spending our money so wastefully sometimes. If you had to go to the trouble of making an item, you would make sure you really wanted/needed the item before getting it. Instead of buying new music cds, think of learning to play a musical instrument - you could entertain yourself for life! I think we all have the potential to be multi-talented, artists, writers, musicians, chefs, etc. It would be great to learn new crafts, and perhaps discover a new passion!

3. wobs

wobs Senior Member

what instrument are you going to play happy art girl?

4. I am learning to play the Harmonica and Ukulele. I actually have an Ocarina too, though I've never played that. It is so hard to find songbooks for the Ocarina in English.

5. Fairlight

Fairlight abstract distractionist.

I wish my Mum had instilled in me a way to earn a living,gain useful employment and just settle down,get married and have kids instead of encouraging me to be creative,not bother about school and where has all this so called creativity got me? Up shit-creek without a paddle.But that's just my sad story and maybe you all have talent and weren't born into mental torment.Good luck.

6. Fairlight

Apologies to all for my negativity here last night...Creativity is great and I hope you have many cool adventures with it,this is especially to Happy Art Girl...It's just that leading a creative lifestyle can be difficult at times especially when there's no money coming in...I would suggest you have a back-up plan and try to find a way to support yourself in the real world...Something I have always found hard to do.

7. Don't worry Fairlight, everyone has moments they feel negative - I know I do. My Mum was kind of the opposite of yours, she wanted me to do well at school, and although she encouraged me with my art, she never wanted me to do that for a career. She wanted me to get a proper job and earn a living, which I did for a while. I'm unemployed now, but I hope to get a part time job to support myself financially, whilst leaving me time to work creatively on something I love.

I don't think I'm hugely talented, I think I have a little talent, which needs a lot of practice to get better. But I have fun trying, and hope one day to be successful.

Good Luck, and I hope you get to do all you dream of.

8. Fairlight

Yes I also feel my talent is small and needs much nurturing...I find I often do my best drawing just doodling whilst talking on the phone.Strange that...I suppose it's because in a certain way when we try too hard we block the sub-conscious from coming through.

9. I think so, we need to learn to relax and see what comes through when we are sketching without much purpose. I always enjoy my drawing much more then. Though I feel I make the most progress with my skills when I've worked hard on a drawing to make it as close to the reference as possible. More exhausting though!