Clan of the Cave Bear / Earth's Children / Jean Auel

Discussion in 'Books' started by hummblebee, Jun 18, 2006.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread - I guess it could've gone into "fiction" but it seems to me like it's one of those that bridge the fiction/non-fiction genres... I'm re-reading these books or the first time since I was about 12.

Anyone have any comments on Ms. Auel's writing, or the series? I'm only just into the first book, and I'm blown away by how much it's sucked me in. One of those books (or, rather, serials) that I almost wish I'd waited to read till I could've gotten more from it. I guess that's why I'm re-reading them after all this time.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend similar themed books - I like reading with a theme of "simpler times"... you know, back when people were actually connected with their own survival, instead of just being cogs in the wheel of "civilization"... So I'd be happy for any recommendations of other books y'all could give!

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

have always loved the series.. i too read it when i was 12, and have re-read it several times since!

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I read the first two and then got sidetracked or something.I'm glad to be reminded of them --must try again--thanks.There's a series by Larry Mcmurtry,the first of which is called 'Sin Killer'.It's about an aristocratic English family in 1830s America.There are about 5 or 6 books.I enjoyed them a lot.Some pretty exiting stuff.----------------------------scratcho-----------

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

there is also the "outlander" series... Scotland, 1700... time travel.. romance... little bit of everything

5. scratcho

EXCITING(I hate spelling errors!

6. scratcho

My daughter is reading series.She says it's pretty good.

7. scratcho

(What is wrong with me?)She's reading the Outlander series.

8. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

hmmm... I'll have to check on the Outlander books, I've heard of those in passing. I've finally just given up on the library. I'm normally a library freak, but my new little town has a really small, bad selection, never has the books I want, and on top of that I can never keep track of my due dates! So I've found a new addiction - shopping the paperbacks at random thrift stores and yard sales. I figure, for less than $1 a pop, how can I go wrong!?