Civil Rights Day

Discussion in 'Activist Polls' started by ChristianToker, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ChristianToker

ChristianToker Member

Why should Martin Luther King get all of the credit? I mean, he was amazing and all, and he made an enormous push to give equal rights to all, but so did Huey Newton, Malcolm X, and many others. I personally think that there should be a Civil Rights day instead of one day honoring MLK. What about you? Where do you stand on this? Vote Now.

2. ChristianToker

ChristianToker Member

Bump. Comments are welcome.

3. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

i think that there should be both becase civil rights also relates to womans rights and MLKjDay relates to the black movemt , and i feel that even tho i am not a fiminst i think that civil rights relates to not only woman but others awell , so i think there should be both

4. ChristianToker

ChristianToker Member

Interesting

5. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

Civil Rights in general. To me, MLK jr. focuses mostly on African Americans... fact of the matter these days its not just them being discriminated against. Everyone likes to think so but really, if you look at it, blacks have come a far way in our society and if anything have lots of advantages now. We should look at transexuals, the LGBT community, etc.

6. Jolie Dawson

Jolie Dawson Member

You know, I never even thought about this before now....it makes perfect sense to have Civil Rights Dya instead of Matin Luther King Day. They wouldn't have to change the date, because MLK did do a lot for civil rights. Really, though, it's not fair to make it out like MLK did everything.

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Having grown up during the civil rights era when Black people had to use separate water fountains and entrances, I think it is important to note that MLK was a great organizer and persisted even though there were threats on his life, and he eventually paid with his life. With all due respect to the woman's rights movement, there weren't women being lynched.

8. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

do both these days exist?

is this an american holiday?