CISPA Has Passed U.S. House

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aerianne, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

While all eyes were on the Boston Marathon Bombing, subsequent city lock-down and manhunt...

http://www.zdnet.com/cispa-passes-u-s-house-death-of-the-fourth-amendment-7000014205/

2. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Not only am I ready to pull the plug but I'm also able to pull the plug.

There's nothing here I can't live without.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

About that last amendment, does that mean we retroactively loose privacy? Like say, they could go through things that happened before cispa?

but it sounds like a great idea, I have nothing to hide, so I better hand my freedoms right over :rolleyes:

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Shite! I forgot to link to the article quotes I made...I'll edited my OP to add it.

5. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't think it will become law. If necessary, Obama will veto it.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

LOL.

Just like NDAA. And all his other veto failures. And his offering up social safety net programs, when they don't even really WANT to chop them.

He'll make any "concession" he has the ability to, for absolutely NOTHING in return.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Morons...

8. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Personally I don't care. They can pass similar and even more harsh legislation in my country against the Internet. And in the end I won't lift a single finger in protest.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Your overall attitudes, and opinions, right down to your name, make me suspect you are mentally ill.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I doubt Obama will veto this.

Doesn't the government already do crap like this? It seems like this is just making it legal.

11. Tyrsonswood

Yup!

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you make it sound like they sneaked it past and voted in some secret meeting

just a quick minute to google search tells me its been on the books being reviewed and amended for years...thats what they do...review it...amend it...debate it...amend it...vote

isnt that the way it supposed to be?..are they supposed to stop the whole system for each news story

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It, like SOPA and all the rest, has been delayed for years, because of public outcry. They had to totally drop SOPA because it became a political liability, when enough people noticed it. But when they did, they made a whole bunch more other bills that said the exact same thing, only worse. And yes, they keep doing sneaky things to pass them.

But when it's not politically crippling to support it, it doesn't matter that nobody wants it or that it says the exact thing that got the whole country to mobilize, with such giants as google and wikipedia blacking out for a day, and probably many millions of calls and letters/communications to politicians. Nobody notices, most people are watching bombs go off, they pass it, in an atmosphere that will give them a talking point/excuse if anybody says anything.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Do you have that often with people that express conflicting views with your own?

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"threat information" ? Wow. that's a really loosely defined term..... is Hip Forums, "threat information"? does this make us all terrorists?

16. Tyrsonswood

To some people... Yes we would all be terrorists.

17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

No. I am talking about the passive aggressive, self-contradictory behaviour of that poster.

18. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

If anything, the Senate will have an easier time passing it and Obama will have less political liability when he signs it into law, considering what has happened in Boston and the timing of all of this.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...g_as_a_reason_why_cispa_should_be_passed.html

19. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Bush signed the next installment of the Patriot Act the day Saddam was captured (or the day U.S. officials decided to announce his capture to the public).

What was Bush supposed to do? Delay signing the act because of every little news event?

Coordinated events and timed release of information about events is nothing new. When something happens in Iraq or Afghanistan that is favorable to the U.S. govt, such as the capture of an insurgent, the govt puts it in its lock box and waits for an opportune time to release the info to the press and general public, especially to counter some bad news that crops up that is related to the good news. It's like a chess game, just like how the White House uses Friday evening press releases about bad news, hoping everyone will forget by the next week.

20. odonII

odonII O

I think it's evident all you have to do is spell you name wrong and you are in the clear.