Cindy Sheehan resigns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shaggie, May 30, 2007.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The democrats caving in to Bush on the war funding seemed to be the last straw for her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070530/ap_on_re_us/cindy_sheehan

I managed to make it to the Kent State commemoration this May and saw Sheehan there. She was the keynote speaker. I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was still hurt by the loss of her son.

[​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Shaggie:
    Sorry to hear her voice wont be out there. The poor woman has paid dearly.
    Lost her son, her marriage fell apart and is now deeply in debt.
    In her own word , to a American public who is more involved on who comes out on top on the American Idol tv show, rather than how many body-bags are sent home from a unwinable and illegal war.
    Even thou she is steppin down, I dont think we've seen the last of this fine lady..

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

I honestly hope she's just taking a much-needed break rather than giving up altogether. I have to admit I'm disappointed.

I think the rest of us who are active should pause and ask ourselves why we do what we do? what are our expectations?

my son goes to rallies with me for his CO file. he has often asked me if we're really making any difference, especially since who really cares what people in rochester think? i remind him that while we do want to see change, sometimes our expectations shouldn't be about seeing that change right away. it's more about where our energy goes, what we do with it.

i'm really sorry to see sheehan's energy has been depleted by her activism.

4. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Not that I like or respect the women - BUT - I think a break from all of this will do her good.

5. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

A break from the war in Iraq would be good for her and us.

6. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

What a good idea - lets not talk about it at all - for a month.

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

I wasn't referring to the talk. I meant the support for the war.

8. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Oh I see - so people who ''support'' the war must stop doing so for a while ?.
    Well around here that means ''Talk'' - If we all stopped talking about it for a while maybe it would be a good thing.
    I appreciate your sentiment and the dificulty of crowbarring your sentiment into what I said -

9. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

??

10. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

You said : A break from the war in Iraq would be good for her and us.
    That imho does not translate to : A break from support for the war.
    So given what you said you meant - I think ''support'' means discussing the situation in Iraq in a none anti way - in opposition to the prevailing sentiment.
    Maybe if we ALL stopped talking about it [for a while] either in a positive or negative way - it would be a good thing.

I appreciate what you meant and the difficulty of spinning what I said to incoporate your feelings on the matter.

Was that any clearer ?.

11. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Relax.

12. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I am very relaxed thanks - I was not meaning to be hostile.
    If that is how it came across - sorry.

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

No problem.

14. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

cindy sheehan gets on my nerves she is a supposed pacifist they would probaly rip georges head off if she got the chance. She has so much hostility toward the people that disagree with her actions then she labels them as war mongers.

15. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I'm not sure she is a pacifist - but I do think she is a little bit of a chameleon.
    I don't think she would ''rip his head off'' to be honest - If she did her ''fight'' is over - even if she got a huge round of applause from certain sections of the media and ''general public''.

16. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

^ in her book she "claimed" she was a total pacifist

she also said “If you fall on the side that is pro-George, and pro-war, you get your ass over to Iraq" isnt the definition of a war monger someone who tells people to go to war?

what about this 'I'd Rather Live Under Chavez than Bush' please I will try to pay for the ticket

This was said by Gandhi
    "Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. "

that doesnt appear to me what she is doing

17. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

That was part of the quote. You left out the other part. Her point was that some of the people who claim to be so pro-Bush aren't exactly signing up to go to Iraq.

"If you fall on the side that is pro-George and pro-war, you get your ass over to Iraq, and take the place of somebody who wants to come home. And if you fall on the side that is against this war and against George Bush, stand up and speak out."

She went on to say:

"This is what the Camp Casey miracle is all about. American citizens who oppose the war but never had a conduit for their disgust and dismay are dropping everything and traveling to Crawford to stand in solidarity with us who have made a commitment to sit outside of George's ranch for the duration of the miserable Texan August. If they can't come to Texas, they are attending vigils, writing letters to their elected officials and to their local newspapers; they are setting up Camp Casey branches in their hometowns; they are sending flowers, cards, letters, gifts, and donations here to us at Camp Casey. We are so grateful for all of the support, but I think pro-peace Americans are grateful for something to do, finally."

18. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

Cindy Sheehan planned on visiting Purdue University, on April 12, 2007, to give a speech on President Bush and the war in Iraq. [65] This visit caused controversy locally and Purdue University enacted security measures not normally used around a guest speaker, such as banning signs or banners from the speech location. Purdue students let their opinion be known as Sheehan had a hard time speaking over the chorus of boos from those in attendance. At several points of the speech she became very hostile and confrontational calling several students "warmongers."

So anyone who disagrees with the way this women promotes peace,She labels a warmonger . Sorry but anyone who disagrees with me I dont resort to calling them warmongers.

19. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

We can make Sheehan or even Gandhi look like a Bush supporter and a warhawk if we do enough quote mining.

We can compare a lot of people to Gandhi to try to put them in a negative light. Bush claims he's for peace too. He's definately no closer to emulating Ghandi than Sheenhan is.

20. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

You do what you did in a previous post and quote mine to make Sheehan look like a war supporter.