Cicadas they're baaaack *ugh*

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, May 17, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Any day now, billions of cicadas with bulging red eyes will crawl out of the earth after 17 years underground and overrun the East Coast. The insects will arrive in such numbers that people from North Carolina to Connecticut will be outnumbered roughly 600-to-1. Maybe more.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/0...mber-people-600-to-1-88423.html#ixzz2TZlpkap5

I remember these things being out like that 17 years ago...remember ppl talking about eating them and my friend's dog eating them.
    All I know is, I'm not looking forward to this (and I know it's daytime but I swear I just heard one right outside the window), as I hate bugs and I know they are harmless... but yes, I am picturing these big, ugly things flying at me and hitting me in the face and getting in my hair...

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

They are out every year.. I dont think this year will be any different than the last.. While its true it takes 17yrs. It dont account for the species being around for a million years, every year..

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, they are around every year but every 17 years massive amounts of them come out.. I'm picturing a zombie bug invasion. Anyways, yea, they usually don't outnumber ppl 600 to 1.

4. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

They sound wild through

5. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

The sound of cicadas while tripping is responsible for my first direct holy communion.. They are probably my favorite living things.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

You can come take them away from the outside of my house then if you love them so much. :)

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Fortunately we don't have to deal with them up here on the coastal plain :2thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8KpgGuGCU"]Billions of Cicadas to emerge on East coast of US after 17 years - YouTube

Hotwater

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

:love:

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

They're ugly. I'm sorry but they are.

Although watching that video I was developing a semblance of affection for them... something I will never have for stinkbugs.

10. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

It was during a sun rise, too.. damn, what a memory! :love:

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

me too, I LOVE cicadas! I think they're mystical. I kept finding their husks last year and saved a few of them. There were a couple of cicadas just chillin on the side of my porch for a few hours last year and I got some really amazing pictures of them.

12. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

I think I've only seen a real live one very few times.. definitely once when I was a toddler, it was on my grandmothers tree and it scared the shit out of me because it looked massive to me at that time. Since then, I can only remember seeing them two more times, but yea I found their 'past lives' (well, thats what I call them, haha) a million times, they are all over the place in the summer!

13. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I saw this happen about 10 years ago. There would be thousands dead every morning under every street light. They would gather under the light at night and die from the morning sun. You couldn't get away from the buggars. You could kick up a layer of gravel and find thousands hiding from the sun.

14. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Just reading this had made me feel like something is crawling down my back. :eek:

15. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

yea these ppl are all nuts digging these BUGS like this...

these things FLY at you and hit you on the head!! and they are HUUUGE!

NUFF SAID.

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I remember in the 80s sometime in VA, those things were everywhere. It was absolutely nuts. So they only go as far south as NC?

17. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I believe so. Lucky me.

Do you have stinkbugs down in FL? *gags* I'm thinkin maybe if I start tellin myself I love those bugs I'll stop having panic attacks when I see them?

18. deviate

deviate Senior Member

What's a stinkbug?

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

oh my god. are you serious???? I HATE living here. hold on. lol!

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

watch this video...and yes, they came from asia-here-to PA first and there are TONS and TONS and TONS of them here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryhyc8n-X3o"]Pest Control: How to Get Rid of Stink Bugs - YouTube

ewwww I can barely even stand seeing their picture. that's exactly what they look like. they are loud and they do stink. terribly.

now if anyone comes on here telling me they love THESE motherfuckers ima call you out on that. bleh.