Chuck Klosterman

Discussion in 'Music Books' started by El Politico, Jun 2, 2006.

1. El Politico

El Politico Member

So he's not a musician. In fact, I doubt that he could play an instrument. He does, however, own over 3,000 CDs and is capable of citing the most random examples in music and popular culture.
    His most famous book is Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs but I actually think that his newer work Killing Yourself to Live is better (from the 60-odd pages I've read).
    Smart (a little too...), funny, and readable--yet somehow annoying--if you're into music, check him out.
    Beware that you might feel yourself being dissected by his writing, for it is not just about music, but music culture--and music fans.

2. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

"killing yourself to live" is way better than the last two.
    And the more I think about it, the last two really suck.
    I cringe when people mention "Sex, drugs, and cocoa puffs"
    as their fav book >_<

I get annoyed by some of his viewpoints...but I like having another point of view thats diff from my own...

3. wiuf

wiuf Member

just read Killing Yourself To Live. I really liked it.

in a way, I find his musings slightly more profound than Nick Hornby's. maybe.

4. sarathustra

sarathustra Member

I own Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa puffs, but i haven't brought myself to read it yet. Is it worth it? I may just put it up on a book swapping site, heh.

5. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Bleh... I hate Chuck Klosterman.
    My mom knows him. He used to post on this one local message board all the time, and he used to write for our local newspaper.

I think he's really annoying. I've tried reading his books, but he's just so damn annoying. I can't stand the guy, even if he is a local (for me).