christining your babies

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by arlia, Jan 18, 2005.

1. arlia

arlia Members

i dont believe in child baptism as i dont belive that is biblical,nowhere in the bible does it say a child should be baptised,only dedicated(two parents commiting to take care of the child with godly morals and thanking god for its life) baptism is full emertion under water wen somebody has come to theyre own understanding of jesus,christining is a contradiction in itself as the bible states if anyone is to be baptised,it is from head to toe.

i agree that the principles should be taught but at the same time the child sould have a choice,learn about god and jesus because they want to.

2. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I don't believe in it either. If I have a baby, I will teach them what I beleive, but I think that christening and baptizing should be the decision of the person. you can't make those decisions for a child. THey don't understand religion and should choose their own path when they are old enough to make the decision themselves.

3. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I was christaned into the church of england when I was a baby... Not because I'm from a religous family, just because it's traditional here in the UK... it's just the naming ceramony... nothing more, nothing less.

Now I tend to agree with the idea of being baptised as an adult, when you've had the ability to choose for yourself if following that path is truly you... the only problem with it is that baptis families are often very religous, and it can be hard for the person, living in such an environment, to make an unbiast decision on what path they want to follow.

4. arlia

arlia Members

baptism should only be when the person has excepted christ and fully understands why they are doing it!

i was never christnened as a baby as my father wanted to me to chose my own path

5. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

God, I got this picture in my head of someone breaking a bottle of Champagne over a babies head.

6. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

"one baptism for the remission of sins"

if one is baptized into the communion of saints as an infant, so mote it be... it is being done in their stead, by parents & by sponsors ("godparents"), who promise to put the scriptures into their hands & expose them to christian teachings...
    in most denominations doing infant baptism (& often by "pouring" 3x at the baptismal font, rather than by immersion in a pool or tank or tub (or lake or river, whatever...), the rite is re-examined by the child prior to being admitted to take the lord's supper (the eucharist; holy communion; the lord's table, etc.) & again upon the rite of confirmation...
    practices vary widely across christendom, of course...

& if, as an adult, you decide that being a member of "the communion of saints" is not your thing, well - i don't think that you need to get "UN-baptized"... (heh, i dunno if ya can)
    & if, as an adult, you decide that being a christian IS your thing ,& if you were baptized as an infant, you shouldn't need to get RE-baptized... (imho...)

in the words of dr martin luther:
    "thank god i am baptized!"

ymmv...

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

well, part of a baptism (aside from the major religious part) is introducing the child to the community... much like a baby naming ceremony... As much as I don't believe in having a religious baptism, when I have kids I do plan on doing the latter ceremony for them...

8. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

When I have children I won't baptise them. I'll dedicate them to God and raise them with Jesus, and let them make the choice. For it's theirs to make.

But even though I don't agree with child baptism, yet I am willing to accept it for the sake of unity among christians. I've had many 'childbaptism vs. adultbaptism' discussions with fellow christians and I'm done with that, I'm going for unity among christians now.

9. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Now you say that if they choose to follow a path other than one of with jesus, you'll support them... but raising them in the way you have suggested, you're not giving them any other choice than to follow jesus...

Will you teach your kids about islam? paganism? buddism?

Now I know it's possable for someone to be raised in a christian household, where the whole family go to church, and use the bible as inspration, and not become christian - my friend caroline is a perfect example (and believe it or not, she didn't need any encouragment from me, this was something she found for herself), but's very rare.

Now I'm not saying you're wrong to raise your kid like that, it's none of my business how you raise your kids.. i'm just saying, do you truly expect them to follow a route other than jesus?
    Why? Not all christans are the same or have the same opinions.... a lot of christians see nothing wrong with homosexuality, and yet others have major problems with it.. so why do what others tell you to do... do what YOU think is right.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In the middle-ages sometimes dead babies were baptized as it was believed that without baptism the soul would go to Hell.

11. goldmund

goldmund Member

Some Christians would quote Jesus as saying, and I can't remember the exact verse, but something along the lines of "unless one is baptized, there is no possibility of seeing the Kingdom of Heaven". Some Christians believe that baptism is to salvage original sin and that to not give it to a child would be to hold a precious gift from a child should he/she die in an accident, for example.
    Btw, it should be noted that while not in the actual bible, the baptism of infants, may not have been common, but was in practice in the very early primative church. Many Christians believed that it was literally required for salvation.
    Also about the full immersion, many early church fathers speculated that while it was preferable, there might be situations where it was not possible. Should baptism be denied where there was not enough water but a will to be baptized?

12. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

AmandaN, I am on a christian highschool, with between 99 and 99.9 % of the students raised christian, I am on of the few converts (yes, raised non-christian, made the choice for Jesus). And though much of that 99.9% are believers, there are also quite some that go to church because it's tradition, are on a christian school because their parents placed them there etc. etc. Some I've talked to secretly have interest for eastern mysticism, but have to be silent about it in order the be seen as normal.

So that's one situation. But I am on a christian highschool because I chose to (I was on a non-christian highschool and then went to the christian highschool). But my sister of 14 goes to a non-christian school (she's like between christian and non-christian: hasn't made the choice yet, as far as I know) and my parents let her free to chose so. Somewhere on this forum, Arlia recently said some interesting things on raising children with christianity but letting them the choice.

13. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I agree... You can teach your children, but it is ultimately their decision whether or not they wish to have a relationship with Jesus. My Catholic parents baptized me as a baby, but there was no remission of sin because I am the only one who can repent for myself. Basically, my parents just had some water poured on my head. The thought was nice, but the only thing they were doing was promising to teach me about the Lord. The decision to be baptized is up to the individual.

Many people find baptism completely unnecessary. This is not what the Lord said.

When you receive the Holy Spirit, it is a promise that your children shall receive it as well. (Acts 2:38), when they come to him.