Christianity represses the self.

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Share the Warmth, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Can anyone argue with this logic? Through guilt and strict dogma, Christianity attempts to throw the human consciousness into a straightjacket of limited ideas and experiences.

In reality there is no impossible, except for what you, the all powerful God and decision maker of your own fate, believe to be impossible. Impossible vs. possible is one of the most important decisions you can make in your life, and you allow Christianity to do it for you?

2. NecroDynamic

NecroDynamic Banned

I know what you're getting at, and I honestly DO think that for people like you (and even me) for example, Christianity has its bad effects. On the other hand, I've met Christians that are so happy, and comfortable, with the religion they've come to believe in, that they would gladly give up their homes for the homeless because of their religion; not expecting a penny back.

So my answer would conclude of both 'yes' and 'no' to your first question; it's all in the perception of the person. If they enjoy it, then they've found something to be happy about and stand for; but if they are like you and I, they will realize that they might have second thoughts about their beliefs.

So all in all, I say: Whatever makes you happy. :)

3. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

But is it really about what makes you happy? I wonder sometimes if being content and happy should be the goal. And even if it is I really think that same person who found such happiness and gratification in being a good Christian would find even MORE joy on a path to enlightenment and spiritual awakening.

There are escalating levels of happiness I think. There is the grounded in the earth, base levels of satisfying physical needs (food, sex, air, water etc), there is the level of helping others and feeling gratified for doing so and then, somewhere above it all, is a level that comes from understanding the universe around onself. I think this is where most Christians suffer the most because their self imposed ceiling is just so damn low.

But maybe Christianity does serve as a conduit for spiritual awakening for some people. I'd say a VERY small percentage of Christians I've met have any idea of what's going on in the universe and their true potential. I mean I look at the very serious problem of repressed pedophile priests and I think the religion is doing damage even to people who believe it's helping them.

I just don't think the human mind was not meant to be chained like that, you know?

I guess I could morally support a sect of Christianity that did not closely follow the bible as scripture beyond criticism and had a good and objective understanding of the history of Christianity and the flaws present the existence of a bible (that can be interpreted and abused by humans and power) and tried to advocate the wisdom and decisions of Jesus Christ and above all seeking to understand the universe and what it is to be human.

I'm fine with Jesus Christ the man, I think he was an incredible individual and really godlike when you consider the era he lived in. So progressive and such a beautiful person, one of the most important and influential ever I believe.

But I think his teachings have been so twisted for political reasons. There's so much bullshit there, and I mean really just underhanded, manipulative bullshit. So no, I don't trust the bible, at all, but I recognize the mindblowing importance of Jesus Christ's existence and his philosophy.

I just don't think it should be a religion but a philosophy, and for me the difference is this:

philosophy- follow these guidelines to help you understand yourself and the world around you

religion- do this and don't do so and so or suffer eternal consequences!

The second is far too based and invested in an individuals faith to apply to everyone on the planet, universally. The first appears to be based more in logic and in understanding how this thing we call the universe works. There is a truthfulness to it. It isn't about control but rather exploration.

Religion seems a shackle to be used to control and keep us in the present (or take us to the past) while philosophy seems more like a tool to help us grow further into our potential, towards tomorrow.

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Well this is why Christianity REFUSES to acknowledge EVOLUTION. Christians are AFRAID of EVOLUTION (yes one more thing they fear). Because if Evolution exists, it throws out so many Christian concepts that exist to keep people BLIND to the truth.

If evolution is the way life progresses, then it will do that regardless of "God's Will" because it's a Natural process, that occurs without divine intervention.

Hence all life wasn't created by God in a day, because it took billions of years for it to evolve.

Hence there is no such thing as Original Sin because humans didn't just become human overnight, they Evolved into humans over the course of eons. There was no point at which suddenly humans became sinners as told in Genesis.

If humans are STILL evolving then it means we can ALL become Christlike, and still have a ways to go, but we can become GODS ourselves if we believe it possible, and evolve in that direction.

This is at odds with the teachings of Christianity, and would make Christianity irrelevant (despite the fact that Christ would then be our model of how to evolve). This is because you won't need a church anymore to become Christlike.

So if evolution exists there can be no Creation Myth as current Christians believe. But that still leaves open the possible of a NEW Creation story, one based on science that clearly defines our FURTHER evolution.

You can even include God in it, but you can't include the 7 day creation story. And you might soon have to acknowledge that LIFE EXISTS OUTSIDE our planet, in fact everywhere in the universe where conditions are right!

I could easily come up with a better creation story that jibes with science, includes God, and evolution, and it would be far more accurate than Genesis.

So yes, Christianity does repress our own Evolution! It keeps us SLAVES to an ancient set of laws that no longer works, and prevents us from evolving further.

When science makes a new discovery they often have to THROW OUT the old rules they used to describe reality, and a NEW SET OF LAWS is soon discovered. The old set might still apply in limited circumstances, but it's limited ability to account for today's reality as shown by science, makes it obsolete as a tool for dealing with life anymore.

5. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

I think the disappointment so many people seem to have with religion (especially Christianity) is its apparent ignorance of their highest ideals.

The question is - What are your highest ideals? How do YOU bring them to reality? If there WERE a perfect religion, what would it be? What would it teach? How would it be practiced?

Now, practice that. Whatever that perfection is, be that. Be attentive and flexible and compassionate and appreciative and curious and expansive and creative and love the good and love your neighbor and even love those who don't love you back.

If that's your ideal.

Peace and Love