Christianity just recycled material???

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Archemetis, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

Christ and Krishna similarites

The similarities between the Christian character and the Indian messiah are many. Indeed, Massey finds over 100 similarities between the Hindu and Christian saviors, and Graves, who includes the various noncanonical gospels in his analysis, lists over 300 likenesses. It should be noted that a common earlier English spelling of Krishna was "Christna," which reveals its relation to '"Christ." It should also be noted that, like the Jewish godman, many people have believed in a historical, carnalized Krishna.

Krishna was born of the Virgin Devaki ("Divine One")

His father was a carpenter.

His birth was attended by angels, wise men and shepherds, and he was presented with gold, frankincense and myrrh.

He was persecuted by a tyrant who ordered the slaughter of thousands of infants.

He was of royal descent.

He was baptized in the River Ganges.

He worked miracles and wonders.

He raised the dead and healed lepers, the deaf and the blind.

Krishna used parables to teach the people about charity and love.

"He lived poor and he loved the poor."

He was transfigured in front of his disciples.

In some traditions he died on a tree or was crucified between two thieves.

He rose from the dead and ascended to heaven.

Krishna is called the "Shepherd God" and "Lord of lords," and was considered "the Redeemer, Firstborn, Sin Bearer, Liberator, Universal Word."

He is the second person of the Trinity, and proclaimed himself the "Resurrection" and the "way to the Father."

He was considered the "Beginning, the Middle and the End," ("Alpha and Omega"), as well as being omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

His disciples bestowed upon him the title "Jezeus," meaning "pure essence."
    Krishna is to return to do battle with the "Prince of Evil," who will desolate the earth.

...somthing for the fundies to think about...those who insist time and again that the bible is 100% accurate. obviously the jesus story was around long before the christian jesus allegedly was born, which makes the bible incorrect in some aspects or highly mistransilated. so take what you read with a grain of salt.

we could talk about horus as well...its teh same story with him, only horus was worshiped over 5000 years ago. 3000 years before christ was supposedly born.

2. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

The Old Testaments and the prophecies concerning the Messiah were written long before the developement of the Hindu faith. That includes Isiah's prophecy saying that a virgin would give birth to the Messiah and call him Jesus. Jesus is the English translation of Yeshua which was his given name at birth. Christ was his title and is derived from the Greek word Christos which means "the sent one" or annointed one". I'm Christian but I'm certainly NOT one of those fundaMENTAList types(notice my emphasis on mental).Those types of so-called Christians annoy me to no end. They give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. Me I'm a peace-loving,tree hugging,left wing liberal.

Christian Leftists UNITE!!!!

The following website is a satire of those religeous-right wing fundaMENTAList types. Its a site thats good for more than a few laughs.

www.bettybowers.com

Enjoy!

3. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Jesus does not mean pure essence. Jesus is Yeshua in Hebrew. Yeshua means "Yaweh is Saviour." Crucifixion did not exist during the time of Krishna. The Romans invented crucifixion.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just one or two mistakes there.
    Krishna was not born of a virgin. His mother Devaki had several other children first, all of whom were killed by Krishna's uncle Kamsa.

His father was a king Vasudeva, but he was bought up by foster parents, Nanda, a cowherd, and Yashoda.

Nothing in the Purana about gold. frankinsence and mhyrr, or shepards ans angels.

I'm afraid He wasn't baptized in the ganga either,nor was He killed by crucifixion.

I'd love to know where Krishna proclaims Himself 'resurrection' or 'way to the father' - not in any Hindu scripture I've ever encountered.

The sources for tales about Krishna are two - the Puranas, esp. Bhagavata Purana, and the Mahabharata. None of what you describe is in there.

Interestingly, some scholars suggest an influence from nestorian christianity on some medieval devotional sects of hinduism.