Christianity In Africa American Lives.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have grown up around African Americans all my life. So I think I have been observing for some time now.

And their culture is pretty similar to other Americans, maybe different in some ways too.

But one thing I have noticed, is that Christianity seems to always have a positive effect in their lives. Certainly it gives them purpose and meaning. But it also makes them more caring and compassionate, and more social-minded. The only drawback, is that it makes them conservative sexually. So they are less likely to talk about the subject, and perhaps use protection too.

Sadly this isn't often the case with white Americans. Religion sometimes makes them more judgemental and controlling. It's not enough they found religion. They have to cram it down everybody else's throat too. (I have an adopted cousin like that, and he is a real nut.) I'm sorry but it's true. I guess African Americans have actually taken the time to read the Bible.

Has anyone else noticed this? And why does happen like this for them, but not for others?

:) :) :)

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Long ago there were three musics played together in North America as one - African , Native American , and Scot . All offered their native drum to the band .
    Many Europeans (Christian) burned or banished the drum as pagan . Did some African-American Baptists just go to hand-clapping ? Some
    Euro-Christian Americans settled for exciting foot-stomping .

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Slavery is approved over a dozen times in the old and new testaments. Religion having a "positive effect" is a very complicated subject. Alcohol "helps" some people cope with mental and physical pain issues. Just because it feels good and helps you cope with shit, doesn't mean it's necessarily a positive thing in the long run.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Black people are preyed upon by organized religion, unfortunately. I think people of African heritage are more naturally spiritual people, and religion is used to hijack that spirituality and thus control them.

So while part of it is indeed cultural and passed down from generation to generation, I think black people instinctively look to religion more as a source for salvation.

Eric!, David0301 and MeAgain like this.
  5. David0301

David0301 Members

where i come from, the church (mis)uses the black-african community to do certain voluntary-services for them. They manipulate them into thinking that they will get their reward from god . as if the church is lacking any money lol. often times you see black people on our streets enthusiastically distributing leaflets,brochures for the church. i get sad every time i see that. but talking with somebody about religion is like talking with somebody about nutrition. everybody thinks he is the best and perfect. so better to ignore them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

And .....You Sir Are The Perfect Example Of "That Of Which You Speak"......LOL.....:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

David0301 likes this.
  7. David0301

David0301 Members

thank you, i am blushed :blush:

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think Christianity is more vital in the African American culture because the idea of a savior appealed very much to them when they were held in bondage as slaves.

I think they believe the Bible speaks more directly to them, as they feel they are down-trodden in this society.

I think the idea of a hero and savior, being rewarded here and in the afterlife, gives African American Christians as sense that someone, who has their best interest at heart, someone all powerful, is holding the reins.

David0301 likes this.
  9. David0301

David0301 Members

Aerianne, i think black people are in general more spiritual, organic people. It seems to me that they are naturally drawn to some sort of "light" . It can turn out "disasterous" , but it can also turn out "benefitial" depending on whether their "incentive" is abused or used. It is very hard to find a black man who does not believe in anything (in my experience)

10. Aerianne

Yes, I can see that.

One just has to admit that people of African decent seem to naturally have more soul than those of European decent.

I don't have much experience interacting with people of Asian decent so I can't really speak to that.

11. David0301

David0301 Members

In the end everybody is responsible for his own deeds, no doubt. But, I can imagine that what is being done to them in europe (letting them do voluntary work for the church) is being done to them in america in similar ways (black musliim, nation of islam, black panther) . If I may add to this : I find it a bit exagerated and conflict-instigating to do a "black" everything for everything. "black people day" "black holiday" etc etc they only create seperation . At least this is what many black people themselves told me . They dont want to have a "black day" seperately. They want to be integrated. Rather than seperated

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. Aerianne

I think that, in the USA, there would be rioting if we didn't have the days and events to recognize African Americans.

13. David0301

David0301 Members

14. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And they look to religion to escape hardships
    That wasn't a compliment

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Take all negative as compliment. Build ego. Win life.

David0301 likes this.
  16. Eric!

David, "Black people day?" "Black holiday?"
    African American people serve the church and other things they chose to get involved in, clearly by choice. Instead of listening to what "many black people" have told you, you should try doing some research, REALLY research about things that have happened to African Americans during slavery, segregation, and civil rights movements in the US. Struggles still exist even to this day. If you read and understood, then you wouldn't see that it's "exaggerated" as you commented above. We have those "Black everything for everything" as you call it, because people have fought and some have lost thier lives to get these things.

If we didn't have Black History month, accomplishments and contributions of the African American people to this country, would go unnoticed. This month is a way to capitalize on all those things and inspire generations of young African Americans to follow in the footsteps of those that have made a significant impact in all things, i.e. Inventions, the medical field, entertainment, education, science, military service, politics, etc. There are people who want to see these things go away, yet I'm really shocked to hear you say that a lot of Black people are saying it. Are these people that live in the US? If they live in Europe and are saying this shit, ask them why they are living in Europe. They chose to live there to get away from here, for the same reasons that can be found when you do some research into diaries on personal experiences and significant events, specific to African American history.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Fool yourself.

18. David0301

David0301 Members

I dont think these black holidays and events were created to equal blacks to whites. There is other reasons behind that. Which I won't mention here on this forum. Because it is a bit too much to grasp for you people.
    Just a hint: why isnt there such days for the jews,armenians,kurds,native indians who suffered the same, if not , even more? Answer: because they DONT WANT that. They just want equal rights. And blacks still don't have equal rights in the US. Despite the 100 days and events given to them. Black men in the past did not martyr to get a "black holiday". Neither do the kurds, up until today, fight to get a holiday. Give them 100 holidays and they will still fight. All they want is equal rights.

19. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Dude, not sure? After all your life?

You sure about this one? That is one heavy-handed statement right there. You might want to verify that shit real quick before the free speech police rolls up.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Since you think you've been observing you might find it interesting to know that this kind of generalisation is really thin ice. You know, like, for example water melons. And your observation is not likely to be correct or even statistically relevant. But the really screwed up part is you saying black people actually took the time to read the bible. You do know that most of what is written in that book is gibberish and can be interpreted any which way you like, right?

20. Eric!

If the mere thought of having it never existed, I don't think there would ever be any rioting. Rioting would happen if it was suddenly taken away, though.

21. Aerianne

Yes, that's what I think.