christian mystics

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by tiki_god7, Aug 23, 2005.

1. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I remember reading last year in my world history book aout a sect or group of christian renunciates who worship the more mystical side of spirituality and the christian faith. Does anyone know more about them or books about them?

2. Aerosolhalos

Aerosolhalos Member

There is a very wide and ancient tradition of Christian mysticism, stretching back to the 3rd century AD. There is no one clear doctrine or any of study.. various sects and schools of belief have passed through the ages. But for some reason I think you mean Gnosticism and don't know that you mean Gnosticism? So yeah, look up Gnosticism- it could be very far up your alley.

3. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

so can you explain gnosticism and recommend some readings?

4. Sesen

Sesen Member

I think the Gnostic Christians believed Jesus was teaching people how to attain salvation or a higher spiritual development on their own, not through his death. Also if I remember correctly they looked at the God of the bible as an evil God, or a lesser God on a power trip. Its been a while since I read anything on Gnosticism though. Do a search for the Nag Hammadi Library to find the Gnostic gospels.

5. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I'll be sure to look into that...thats an awesome tool pic..never seen that one is it new?

6. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Gnostisism is based the idea that faith isn't enough. We can't TRUST that god exists so they strive for KNOWLEDGE that god exists. Hence the name.

They are very secretive about the "knowledge" they have attained so not a great deal is known about them other than their basic philosophy, they are however, said to have collalated (similar to the Rosicrucians) various different methods of spiritual perfection from around the globe, mainly from other parts of Christian mysticism but also, to some smaller degree, cabala and sufism.

Sesen - what you are referancing sounds more like the Templars.

Tikigod - what you are refering to could be many types of Christian mysticism.

Blessings

Sebbi