Christian and Lesbian

Discussion in 'Lesbian' started by DezRose, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I'm puzzled by this statement. Both the Christian Bible and the Hebrew one were put together in final form after the death of Jesus and the destruction of the Temple by the Romans. But the basic scriptures of the OT were there and in use at the time of Jesus. The NT, of course, with its particularly graphic descriptions of Hell came later, but were around by the end of the first century c.e. So it would be incorrect to say that "the Bible" was "written long after Christianity came to light". If you're talking about the word "hell", which it sounds like you are, Hel was the Norse underworld, presided over by a goddess of the same name. The word means "hidden".

For most of its history, Israel seems to have shared the Mesopotamian concept of the afterlife as a shadowy place where people, good and bad, went after life to lead a shadowy existence which didn't depend on their deeds in life. It was called Sheol. When the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek in the second century b.c.e., Sheol was translated as Hades, the Greek concept that was similar. Psalm 139:8, in which King David tells us "If i make my bed in Sheol, you (God) are there. There are numerous references to this place in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament): Numbers 16:31-34; Job 7: 7-10;; 1 Samuel:6; 2 Samuel 22:5-19; Job 10: 18-22; Psalm 30:3; 88: 2-1030:3; 94:17; 143:3;115:7, Jonah 2:3-8; Ecclesiastes 9:10. To translate it as "hell" is misleading, if we think of the horrific Christian meaning of the term.

By the time of Jesus, after the Exile in Babylon, a new, more terrifying Persian view of hell as a place of punishment for wrongdoers was coming into some parts of Judaism, especially the Pharisees and Essenes (not the Sadducees).. Jesus speaks of Gehenna, originally a site of child sacrifice to Molech that became a burning rubbish dump south of Jerusalem, as a designation for a fiery afterlife for the wicked. The Christians outdid the Persians in making it permanent instead of temporary. But the Norse contributed only the English name for the place--as you say, much later.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not to the mention that Hel sounds more like hail. We'll just throw that in there. And that Hel was a frozen world, not fiery.

lion1978 likes this.
  3. lion1978

lion1978 The King

I too have wondered about it, one could speculate that, since forgivenes seems to be relatively easy to achive in the catholic faith (as it apears from my view, a non catholic) it's not that big of a deal to them. and ofcourse there is the fact that often sexual predators seek inviroments where they can easily become an authority and have "power" in order to abuse it, while at the same time lay the guilt on their victims.

butt it is getting of course of op.

one last thing though, and please do correct me if I am wrong, but isn't man/mankind(peoplekind for the overly politicaly correct people) created in the image of God?